Water/Wastewater Heavy Equipment Operator
ABOUT THE POSITION
- Constructs, maintains, and repairs City streets, storm drains and catch basins.
- Fabricates, installs, maintains, and replaces sidewalks, curbs, gutters, underground utilities and related fixtures using heavy equipment and materials.
- Operates graders, backhoes, dump trucks, bob cats, crack/chip sealers, concrete finishers, asphalt cutters, dump trucks, and other heavy equipment as required.
- Digs trenches using a backhoe for water/sewer line installation/repair and hydrant installation.
- Operates a loader to move sand/dirt as required.
- Operates heavy equipment to facilitate building construction, maintenance, repair, and/or demolition tasks.
- Advises Supervisor of construction, maintenance, and/or repair issues and recommends solutions.
- Establishes traffic control safety procedures at work sites.
- Performs operator-level inspection, servicing, fueling, and maintenance of assigned tools, equipment, and vehicles.
- Reports equipment/vehicle malfunctions to Mechanic or performs minor repairs/adjustments.
- Operates welding machines/equipment (acetylene and oxygen) to complete assigned projects.
- Assists and operates specialized equipment, machines, and vehicles to install, clean, maintain, and repair water lines, fixtures, and equipment.
- Determines the location of water lines, taps water and sewer lines, locates, and manipulates valves, and installs water hydrants.
- Installs, adjusts, and tests flow, sampling, and metering equipment.
- Monitors water wells, tests water chlorine, and collects/records daily meter readings.
- Maintains and monitors booster station, pumps, chlorinators, generators, pressure tanks, and related equipment.
- Collects, labels, and documents water samples for laboratory testing and performs simple tests on water.
- Installs water meters and assists with installs of fire hydrants.
- Flushes fire hydrants to facilitate water circulation and control mineral buildup.
- Applies and properly disposes of chemicals, pesticides, disinfectants, and oxidizing agents encountered in duties.
- Establishes and maintains appropriate worksite traffic control/warning devices and measures.
- Responds to complaints on water leaks, water pressure, and meter readings.
- Performs operator-level service, adjustment, and maintenance of specialized tools, equipment, assigned vehicles, and machinery.
- Complies with all operational safety regulations by maintaining and using safety and personal protective equipment.
- Assures that backflow prevention assemblies continue to protect the drinking water.
- Assists with inspections and examines backflows annually or when needed.
- Conduct maintenance of fire hydrants.
- Perform water valve exercising.
- Responds to customer complaints and service work orders.
- Perform AZ 811 Blue Stake Locators.
- Performs new construction systems inspections.
- Responds to requests from City departments for assistance as needed.
- Performs related duties as assigned.
Will have the knowledge of:
- Construction standards, codes, specifications, and procedures applicable to public works projects.
- Methods, materials, tools, and equipment used in installing and repairing water mains and related fittings.
- Operation of water distribution systems.
- Water sampling techniques.
- Use and proper disposal of disinfectants, oxidizing agents, pesticides, and hazardous materials.
- Operation of heavy equipment and various hand and power tools.
- Service, maintenance, and repair of tools, vehicles, and equipment.
- Traffic laws and regulations involved in truck and equipment operations.
- Occupational hazards and safety procedures.
Will have the ability to:
- Operate heavy equipment in constricted, difficult, or dangerous situations.
- Install and repair water lines and related fixtures and equipment.
- Service, maintain, and adjust water equipment.
- Collect, label, and test water samples.
- Perform manual labor tasks which may include heavy lifting.
- Understand and following oral and written instructions.
- Follow established safety procedures in the performance of duties.
- Perform operator-level servicing and maintenance of assigned vehicles, tools, and equipment.
- A high school diploma or GED equivalent.
- Education and/or experience equivalent to two (2) years of full-time journey level work operating medium/heavy construction equipment.
- A valid Arizona Driver's License (A or B)at the time of appointment and must be maintained throughout employment.
- Arizona Department of Environmental Quality (ADEQ) Water Distribution/Wastewater Collection Grade 1 Certification - attain within 6 months of employment and must be maintained throughout employment.
- Arizona Department of Environmental Quality (ADEQ) Water/Wastewater Treatment Grade 1 Certification - attain within 6 months of employment and must be maintained throughout employment.
- Residency in the United States and within 25 miles of the City of San Luis.
- Bilingual in Spanish.
- San Luis residency.
The City of San Luis is committed to Professional Growth and Career Development -
Current employees may be given preferred consideration if they meet the position's minimum requirements.
OPEN UNTIL FILLED - Applications review will begin September 22 , 2023.
Candidates deemed to have the most relevant backgrounds will be invited to participate in the interview/assessment process.
The City of San Luis offers the following benefits to all full-time City employees:
MEDICAL/ DENTAL/ VISION INSURANCE - The City of San Luis is proud to provide medical, dental and vision insurance for it's employees which is administered by 90Degree Benefits. Dependent premiums are paid one month in advance and are pre-taxed. Additional information regarding medical, dental and vision benefits may be requested from the Human Resources Department.
ARIZONA STATE RETIREMENT SYSTEM (ASRS) - City employees are required to enroll in the Arizona State Retirement System.
- Employee Contribution - 12.03%
- Employer Contribution - 12.03%
ARIZONA STATE RETIREMENT SYSTEM (ASRS) - LONG TERM DISABILITY (LTD)
- Employee Contribution - .014%
- Employer Contribution - .014%
SOCIAL SECURITY AND MEDICARE-
FICA (Social Security Tax) - Employee Contribution - 6.20%
Medicare - Employee Contribution - 1.4500%.
PAID TIME OFF (PTO) -
Vacation Leave Accruals (Based on years of service and accrued on bi-weekly basis)
Less than 6 years - 3.08 hrs. 6 - 11 years - 4.62 hrs. 11 years or more- 6.16 hrs. Sick Leave - 3.69 hrs.
LIFE INSURANCE - The City provides eligible employees with a Life Insurance and Accidental Death and Dismemberment (AD&D) benefit. This plan is administered by Standard.
Basic Life Benefit - $50,000.00
AD&D Benefit - $50,000.00
DISABILITY INSURANCE - Disability insurance is available to all employees who work 30 or more hours per week.
Short-Term Disability - Coverage begins on the 15th day of injury or sickness.
Duration of Benefits - 180 days
Benefits Percentage- 66.67%
Waiting Period - 14 days
Maximum Weekly Benefit: $2,000.00
WORKER'S COMP - Insurance coverage for medical expenses and loss of income due to an on-the-job injury is provided by the City of San Luis for all employees.
Closing Date/Time: 12/29/2023 11:59 PM Arizona