Water Resources Maintenance Mechanic II
APPLICATION REVIEW, INTERVIEWS AND CANDIDATE SELECTION MAY OCCUR PRIOR TO THE CLOSING DATE
GENERAL PURPOSE: Under general supervision, performs routine skilled maintenance, construction, and repair work at the Water Resource Department facilities including: wastewater treatment plants, lift stations, water treatment sites, PRV stations and well sites. Acts as back-up to the Lead Maintenance Mechanic.
Primary Duties and Responsibilities
The following duties ARE NOT intended to serve as a comprehensive list of all duties performed by all employees in this classification, only a representative summary of the primary duties and responsibilities. Incumbent(s) may not be required to perform all duties listed and may be required to perform additional, position-specific duties.
- Maintains large and specialized equipment.
- Researches parts and obtains quotes. Installs, maintains, and troubleshoots motors, controls, valves, electrical equipment, compressors and well equipment at the Water Resources Department facilities.
- Monitors and repairs water well and booster stations; maintains water chlorinator and generating equipment.
- Fabricates, constructs, installs, and repairs equipment and machinery.
- Operates a variety of trucks and equipment in accordance with all safety regulations and procedures.
- Maintains operation and maintenance records and schedules.
- Completes required daily documentation, logs and reports.
- Acts as back-up to the Lead Maintenance Mechanic.
- Performs other duties as required.
Minimum Qualifications & Position Requirements
Education and Experience:
High School diploma or GED equivalent and four (4) years in the maintenance and operations of wastewater treatment, collections, water distribution, water treatment and equipment operations experience; OR equivalent combination of education and experience.
Necessary Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- City policies and procedures.
- Principles and practices of water and wastewater treatment distribution and operation.
- Equipment maintenance and repair methods and materials.
- Methods, practices, tools, and materials used in maintaining, repairing, or constructing deep well facilities, booster stations, wastewater treatment plant equipment and machinery and wastewater lift stations.
- Hydraulics and pneumatics of systems involving pneumatic tanks, deep wells, air compressors, actuators, wet wells, pumps, and booster stations.
- Safety standards and practices.
- Traffic laws and rules involved in vehicle and equipment operation.
- The principles of record keeping and records management.
Skill In & Ability to:
- Safely operate trucks and equipment according to standard operating and safety procedures.
- Ensure safe practices are followed, including correct use of PPE, and adhering to all safety guidelines per equipment standards.
- Communicate with internal and external customers regarding routine and non-routine techniques, operations and general standards.
- Follow and effectively communicate verbal and written instructions.
- Read and interpret maps, technical specifications and operations manuals for vehicles and equipment.
- Establish and maintain positive, effective working relationships with those contacted in the performance of work.
Special Requirements: Possession of a valid Arizona Driver's License at time of hire. Possess or have the ability to obtain a grade II Water or Wastewater Operator Certification from ADEQ within one year of hire.
Physical Demands/Work Environment: Work is performed outdoors and in public facilities.
Work will require heavy physical exertion including lifting between 25-50 pounds regularly.
Position Reports To: Water Resources Maintenance Supervisor
Supervision Exercised: None
FLSA Status: Non-Exempt
Employee Benefits & Wellness
The City offers a comprehensive benefits package to full-time classified and management employees. Part-time classified employees may be eligible for select benefits where defined.
For complete Benefit Plan & Wellness Information, please visit the City website at:
Benefits & Wellness
City benefit plans are subject to change at any time.
Closing Date/Time: 6/29/2023 5:00 PM Mountain