Traffic Control Supervisor
The Mohave County Public Works Department - Traffic Control Division, is currently recruiting for a Traffic Control Supervisor located in Kingman, AZ.
Performs first-line supervisory work involved in the fabrication, installation, maintenance, and repair of signing control and striping of roads and pavement markings of county-maintained roads and properties.
Work is performed under direction of a higher level of authority.
Provides direct immediate to general supervision of assigned subordinates.
Essential Job Functions
- Supervises traffic control operations crews for maintenance of electronic traffic control devices, traffic control signals, wireless communications, signs, and markings.
- Assists traffic engineering staff and consultants on project studies.
- Prepares temporary traffic control plans for county road maintenance work.
- Inspects temporary traffic control deployment in field; performs field inspection of traffic control device installations for County acceptance.
- Operates computer-based applications for interfacing with and controlling traffic control devices.
- Supervises and conducts inspections on traffic control related projects.
- Responds to complaints and traffic situations to formulate responses.
- Conducts supervisory duties including correspondence, meeting with division managers and department directors, purchasing, and budget related items.
- Prepares and manages the Traffic Control Division annual budget.
- Checks and reviews need for maintenance of traffic control devices, assigns work, schedules jobs, and checks job progress.
- Performs personnel related duties such as performance evaluations and discipline.
- Schedules, monitors, and evaluates the work of Traffic Control / Signs personnel. Trains and supervises crews in the appropriate installation, repair and maintenance of electronic traffic control devices, traffic signal equipment, wireless communications, signs, and markings.
- Supervises work of the sign fabrication shop.
- Tests equipment to ensure proper working conditions.
- Responds to emergency calls for temporary traffic control, non-working traffic signals, and damaged traffic signs.
- Maintains inventory on supplies and equipment.
- Maintains records of existing traffic control devices, their condition, and work performed using an electronic work order system.
- Enforces safety rules and performs duties in a safe and orderly manner, complying with all County department safety policies.
- Regular attendance at work and arrives on time.
- Performs all other job-related duties as assigned or as become apparent.
SECONDARY JOB FUNCTIONS
- Performs related work as required.
- Performs special assignments as requested.
- Exercise regular and predictable attendance and punctuality in accordance with Mohave County Personnel Policies and Procedures.
- High School Diploma/GED (General Education Degree)
- Three (3) year's successful experience in the performance of advanced level and/or working supervisor level work involving signing control activities to include fabrication, installation, maintenance and repair of traffic control signs, striping of roads involving the operation of a commercial vehicle to transport road striping equipment and materials, and pavement marking.
- OR an equivalent combination of experience and training which provides the desired knowledge, skills and abilities may be considered.
SPECIAL JOB REQUIREMENT
- Must pass drug screen post offer.
- Must provide acceptable driving history at no cost to the County.
- Must possess a valid driver's license for operation of motor vehicles on Arizona roads at the start of employment and maintain said license while employed in this position.
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities
- Tools, equipment, materials, techniques, methods, practices, and procedures utilized in the fabrication, installation, maintenance and repair of control signs; striping of roads; and pavement marking.
- Use and care of a variety of equipment and hand and power tools used in signing control.
- Laws, regulations, codes, ordinances, manuals, and guidelines used in the determination of placement and signing requirements, including AASHTO, MUTCD and Department Policy.
- Occupational hazards and safety requirements in the performance of signing, road striping, and pavement marking.
- Department policies, rules, regulations, procedures, and unit functions.
- Principles and practices of leadership, supervision, and training.
- Mohave County Personnel Policies and Procedures, and Department Regulations.
- Safe, effective operation and maintenance of hand and power tools, equipment and measuring aides used signing, road striping, and pavement marking installation.
- Effectively utilizing personal computer systems and applications in the performance of work assignments, such as electronic spreadsheets, word processing and graphics to generate documentation, report writing and graphic design.
- Communicating and maintaining professionalism with the public, co-workers, and work contacts.
- Writing documentation of work, reports, work orders, material requisitions, and maintenance records on equipment.
- Managing electronic archives for survey data, record documents, and project documents.
- Establishing and maintaining effective working relationships.
- Building partnerships and fostering teamwork.
- Working collaboratively within and across organizational boundaries to achieve common goals.
- Identifying customer expectations and respond appropriately to their needs.
- Utilize computer applications to develop and implement traffic control strategies.
- Develop and implement traffic control improvements.
- Read and understand materials including memorandums, plats, plans, specifications, maps, deeds, field notes, and legal descriptions.
- Communicate effectively both verbally and in writing.
- Assign, schedule, train, supervise and evaluate work activities and to motivate and control assigned personnel effectively.
- Perform work accurately and in accordance with established standards applicable to signing and road striping activities such as, blueprints, diagrams, specifications, guidelines, manuals, and oral and written instructions.
- Safely and effectively service, maintain and repair assigned tools and equipment in accordance with standard repair, maintenance, operation, and safety procedures.
- Set priorities, estimate material quantities, equipment needs, and labor hours required to perform and complete work assignments.
- Maintain accurate and up-to-date chronological records and documentation.
- Design emblems and signs.
- Establish and maintain effective work relationships with assigned personnel, associate personnel, and personnel of other County Departments, other agencies, vendors, and general public.
- Fulfill physical requirements of work assignments to include occasional - frequent moderate lifting of 25 - 50 pounds and operating equipment and performing manual labor in extreme hot or cold temperatures.
- Comply with Mohave County Personnel Policies and Procedures, and Department Regulations.
Closing Date/Time: 11/22/2023 5:00 PM Arizona