Survey Instrument Operator
Mohave County Public Works is currently recruiting for a Survey Instrument Operator in the Engineering Division.
Performs intermediate level survey work involved in performing preliminary topographic and construction field engineering surveys and other surveys required for County property and right-of-way determinations and for establishing and maintaining benchmarks and monumentations.
Work is performed under general supervision of a higher level of authority and work requires the exercise of initiative and independent judgment in setting up and operating survey instruments and in interpreting survey data.
Exercises technical supervision over assigned subordinates.
Essential Job Functions
- Operates and maintains various surveying instruments such as transits, level, theodolite, and electronic distance measuring equipment to measure and verify elevations, angles and distances.
- Performs mathematical calculations to establish and locate reference points, property corners, vertical and horizontal reference points, and line staking for construction projects.
- Interprets maps, plats, blueprints, and specifications.
- Cleans, checks, and adjusts survey instruments to assure accuracy of measurements.
- Oversees the work assigned in clearing survey areas, locating markers, setting pins, benchmarks and monuments, and other survey tasks.
- Oversees surveying activities in the absence of Survey Party Chief.
- Coordinates County Engineer's records per A.R.S. 11-562 and other applicable statutes.
- Coordinates geographic, photogrammetric, and geo-referenced datasets, plans, and maps.
- Creates and maintains geo-referenced databases.
- Maintains and updates webpage data.
- Maintains a functional skill set commensurate with latest technology.
- Performs related work as required.
SECONDARY JOB FUNCTIONS
- Performs related work as required.
- Performs special assignments as requested.
- Exercise regular and predictable attendance and punctuality in accordance with Mohave County Personnel Policies and Procedures.
- High School Diploma/GED
- Courses in algebra, geometry and trigonometry preferably supplemented by courses or training in survey principles and techniques.
- One (1) or more years of actual surveying work to include instrument operation and survey calculations
- OR an equivalent combination of experience, education and training which provides the desired knowledge, skills and abilities may be considered.
SPECIAL JOB REQUIREMENT
- Must possess a valid driver's license for operation of motor vehicles on Arizona roads at the start of employment and maintain said license while employed in this position.
- Must provide acceptable driving history at no cost to the County.
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities
- Surveying instrumentation including optical, electronic and magnetic devices.
- Land and construction survey methods and procedures.
- Mathematics including algebra, geometry and trigonometry.
- Civil engineering and survey terminology and descriptive materials including maps, plats, drawings, and specifications.
- Department policies, rules and procedures
- Mohave County Personnel Policies and Procedures, Administrative Procedures and Department Policies.
- The operation and maintenance of surveying instrumentation and related equipment.
- Communicating and maintaining professionalism with the public, co-workers, and work contacts.
- Train, direct, and effectively evaluate work activities and the performance of subordinates.
- Interpret maps, plans and specifications for survey factors.
- Perform algebraic, geometric and trigonometric calculations.
- Establish and maintain effective working relationships with coworkers, personnel of other County Departments, private surveyors, and the general public.
- Fulfill all physical requirements of the class.
- Perform the essential functions of the job specifications with or without a reasonable accommodation.
- Comply with Personnel Policies and Procedures, Administrative Procedures and Department Policies.
WORKING CONDITIONS/ PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTS
- Work is subject to varying post or job site assignments and may be subject to call-back or on-call status and irregular schedules including completion of work assignments on weekends.
- During performance of surveys and related surveying tasks, frequently requires a variety of motions to include standing, walking, bending, and stooping.
- Exposure to varying weather conditions including extreme hot and cold temperatures and depending upon location of survey site, isolated, remote areas.
- Requires frequent lifting and carrying of objects up to 25 pounds and occasional lifting and carrying of objects of 25 - 50 pounds.
- This classification does not meet the safety sensitive definition as outlined by Arizona Revised Statute, • 23-493 et seq.
- Frequent contact with associate personnel, other County Departments, private surveyors, and the general public to obtain and exchange information.
Closing Date/Time: 2/4/2020 5:00 PM Arizona