Road Maintenance Worker Senior – Mohave Valley
The Mohave County Public Works Department - Roads Division, is currently recruiting for a Road Maintenance Worker Senior, in Mohave Valley, Arizona.
This is advanced level work involved in the operation of equipment utilized in the maintenance and repair of county-maintained roads and property. This position is in the Road Maintenance Worker series. Positions at this level are distinguished from other classes within the series by the complexity of duties assigned and the effective operation of light to heavy equipment. Appointment to this level requires that the incumbent be performing the full range of duties and meet the qualification standards for the class.
Work is performed under the general supervision of a higher level of authority.
May provide technical supervision to Road Maintenance Workers. In absence of crewleader, supervisor or as assigned, may exercise functional supervision to include overseeing, assigning and directing the activities of a work crew.
Essential Job Functions
- Work is subject to varying job site assignments and may be subject to call back, overtime, and irregular schedules including completion of work assignments on weekends and holidays.
- Performs a variety of road maintenance and repair tasks by performing various manual labor assignments, such as, but not limited to: checking grade of road, mixing cold mix asphalt, shoveling of cake, raking chips, crack sealing, chip sealing, patching, sweeping, trimming trees, weeding, mowing, removing debris, installing cattle guards, placing of barricades and cones, flagging of traffic and crack sealing.
- Utilizes various hand and power tools and equipment such as: jackhammer, hand tamper, compressors, drills, chain saw, mower, shovel, rake, and weed eater.
- Operates and services heavy equipment in the maintenance and repair of roads and to haul materials and equipment. Utilizes equipment such as: backhoe; screening plant; paddle wheel scraper, dozer, maintenance blade; chip spreader; tractor trailer; water truck; bituminous distributor; laydown machine; and other related heavy equipment.
- As required, operates and services a variety of light and medium equipment in the maintenance and repair of roads. Utilizes equipment such as: tandem axle truck; front end loaders; skip loader; rollers; sweepers; and light equipment - single axle truck; tractor/mower; sweeper; and other related equipment.
- In absence of crew leader or as assigned, oversees assigns and direct the activities of subordinates. Based on work assignment, determines best course of action.
- Adheres to safety procedures in work areas and in performance of work assignments. Promotes a culture of safety.
- Cleans, maintains and services required equipment and tools used during performance of work assignments.
- Communicates and acts in a professional manner with the public, co-workers, and work contacts.
SECONDARY JOB FUNCTIONS
- Performs related work as required.
- Performs special assignments as requested.
- Exercise regular and predictable attendance and punctuality in accordance with Mohave County Personnel Policies and Procedures.
- High School Diploma/ GED (General Education Degree)
- Three (3) years actual operating experience of equipment utilized in the maintenance and/or construction and repair of roads or related field involving the operation of heavy equipment utilized in the maintenance and repair of roads, streets and property.
- OR an equivalent combination of education, experience, and training which provides the required knowledge, skills and abilities may be considered in meeting the minimum qualifications.
SPECIAL JOB REQUIREMENT
- Must pass drug screen post offer.
- Must possess a valid driver's license for operation of motor vehicles on Arizona roads at the start of employment and maintain said license while employed in this position.
- Must possess the ability to obtain a valid Commercial Driver's License within a six (6) month period from hire date.
- Provide acceptable driving history at no cost to the County.
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities
- Road maintenance and repair methods and materials.
- Operation and servicing of heavy equipment utilized in the maintenance and repair of roads.
- Traffic laws, ordinances and regulations involved in equipment operation such as blue stake law.
- Safety hazards, practices and procedures related to road maintenance and repair work and the operation of heavy equipment.
- Use and care of equipment, tools, and materials used in road maintenance and repair activities.
- Safe and effective operation and servicing of equipment such as: heavy backhoe; screening plant; finish scraper, dozer, blade; chip spreader; tractor/trailer; 4,000 gallon water truck; bituminous distributor; laydown machine; tandem axle truck; front end loaders; skip loader; rollers; sweepers; single axle truck; tractor/mower; sweeper; rubber tire roller; and other related equipment.
- Effectively service, maintain and operate equipment in accordance with standard operating and safety procedures.
- Oversee the activities of subordinates including assigning and directing tasks and determining best course of action.
- Establish and maintain effective working relationships with associate personnel.
- Understand and follow, quickly and accurately, oral and written instructions.
- Perform the essential functions with or without reasonable accommodations.
- Comply with Mohave County Personnel Policies and Procedures, and Department Regulations.
- Drive a manual shift transmission.
- Learn safe, effective operation of equipment.
WORKING CONDITIONS/ PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTS
- Sufficient clarity of speech and hearing or other communication capabilities, with or without reasonable accommodation, which permits the employee to discern verbal instructions and to communicate effectively in person and on a telephone.
- Sufficient vision or other powers of observation, with or without reasonable accommodation, which permits the employee to comprehend written work instructions.
- Sufficient manual dexterity, with or without reasonable accommodation, which permits the employee to operate standard office equipment, personal computer and peripheral devices.
- Sufficient personal mobility, flexibility, and physical reflexes, with or without reasonable accommodation, which permits the employee to work in an office environment.
- Must be able to perform the physical requirements of this classification with or without a reasonable accommodation.
- Work is subject to traveling throughout the county to complete work assignments.
- May involve performance of moderate to strenuous manual labor in various weather conditions.
- Work may include frequent moderate lifting of 25-75 lbs and operation of heavy equipment.
- This position requires an equal amount of time spent standing, walking and sitting.
- Climbing, stooping, kneeling, crouching, crawling, twisting, and bending are sometimes required.
- Involves exposure to exhaust and chemical fumes, oil, grease, hazardous materials and noise of equipment.
- This classification meets the safety sensitive definition as outlined by Arizona Revised Statute, § 23-493 et seq.
Mohave County provides two options for Self Insured Medical Plan, paid by Employee & Employer, to regular employees (employees who work at least 30 hours per week). Both plan options utilize the Blue Cross Blue Shield of Arizona for in Arizona coverage, plus the Aetna Choice POS II network for out of Arizona coverage; when you need medical care, select a provider from the directory and verify the provider's current status as a network provider. The medical plans include pharmacy benefits.
- Summary Plan Description
- PLAN 1: Exclusive Provider Organization (EPO) Plan Deductible $1,000 per person deductible. Calendar Year Out of Pocket Maximum per Single Coverage is $6,300 and $12,700 for Family Coverage.
- PLAN 2: High Deductible Health Plan (HDHP) $3,000 maximum Out of Pocket for Single Coverage and $6000 maximum Out of Pocket maximum for Family
Out of Pocket Maximum includes medical Deductible, medical Copays, Prescription Drug Deductible and Copays.
Teladoc is a healthcare option available 24 hours per day, 7 days per week, and 365 days per year for non-emergent medical conditions.
Flexible Spending Accounts (FSA)
This voluntary benefit is available to all regular employees working at least 30 hours per week. This pre-tax option will reduce taxable income.
- Health care reimbursement account: up to $2,850 per year
- Dependent daycare reimbursement account: up to $5,000 per year
Health Savings Account (HSA)
This voluntary benefit is available to all qualified employees who are on the High Deductible Health Plan. This pre-tax option will reduce taxable income. You may elect to contribute up to the full 2023 annual limit:
- $3,850 max employee contribution for Single coverage
- $7,750 max employee contribution for Family coverage.
Dental insurance is available to regular employees working at least 30 hours per week through Ameritas.
- High Option: $2,000 maximum annual benefit.High Option includes orthodontia benefit with lifetime maximum of $1,500.
- Low Option: $2,000 maximum annual benefit.
Vision insurance is available to regular employees working at least 30 hours per week through Ameritas. Ameritas offers access to a broad network of independent providers as well as access to out-of-network providers with two plan options available. Plan 1: EyeMed ViewPointe or Plan 2: VSP Focus.
Short Term Disability
Coverage is through Ochs, Inc. - Madison National
Short-Term Disability (STD) is insurance that replaces some of your income if an injury or illness prevents you from working. Provided by Mohave County.
Coverage is through Ochs, Inc. - Minnesota Life
- Basic Life Insurance / Accidental Death & Dismemberment of $50,000
- Provided by Mohave County to regular employees working at least 30 hours per week
Optional / Voluntary Benefits
Payroll deductions are available for the following Optional / Voluntary Benefits:
- Supplemental Life Insurance is available through Ochs, Inc.- Minnesota Life Insurance Company for employees, spouse and dependent children.
- Tax Deferred Compensation Plan 457: this option is voluntary and available to all employees through ICMA-RC or Nationwide.
- Identity Theft Protection is available through IdentityForce, Sontiq for employees and eligible dependents
Retirement Systems / Long-Term Disability
Mohave County is a MANDATORY participating agency in these classification-based retirement systems:
- (ASRS) Arizona State Retirement System: Eligible employees working at least 20 hours per week for 20 weeks or more. MANDATORY contribution rate as of 07/01/2023 is 12.29% beginning on your first paycheck and is employer matched.
- (CORP) Correction Officers Retirement Plan: Employees in Adult Detention positions with the Sheriff's Office. Contributions begin 90 days after first day of employment. Election rates of contribution are between 5% - 40%; default rate of 7%.
- (AOC-CORP) Administration of Courts - Correction Officers Retirement Plan: Juvenile Detention and Adult Probation (Superior Court). Contributions begin 90 days after first day of employment. Election rates of contribution are between 5% - 40%; default rate of 7%.
- (PSPRS) Public Safety Retirement System: Employees in certain positions with the Sheriff's Office. Defined Benefit Tier 3 contribution amount is 9.94%. Contributions begin 90 days after first day of employment.
The following additional benefits are available to all regular employees:
- 11 Paid Holidays
- Payroll direct deposit
- Paid Time Off - vacation/sick time
- Pre-tax deduction plan
- Up to 80% of medical premiums paid by Mohave County
- Bereavement Leave
These materials were created to help you understand the benefits available to you. This is not a Summary Plan Description and is not intended to replace the benefit summaries or schedule of benefits contained within the Plan. If any provision of these materials is inconsistent with the language of the Plan, the language of the Plan will govern .