Recreation Assistant – Building Blocks (Part-Time, Non-Benefited)
The City of Chandler Recreation Division is currently seeking qualified individuals interested in joining the team as a Recreation Assistant - Building Blocks Program. This position is temporary part-time and will serve at the discretion of the department head.
Chandler, the fourth largest City in Arizona, is located in one of the fastest growing innovation and technology centers in the nation. Chandler is a vibrant, diverse, fiscally responsible community with a supportive business climate that attracts global industry leaders, exciting startups, talented workers and their families. In addition to being a great place to live, play and work our local hotels, resorts, golf courses, restaurants and ample shopping opportunities make Chandler one of Arizona's great vacation spots.
Why work for Chandler?
- Accrue 1 hour of paid Statutory Sick Leave (SSL) for every 30 hours worked, eligible to be used immediately following accrual and may use a maximum of 40 hours of SSL per tax calendar year
- Free Tumbleweed Recreation Center membership
Who we are
The City of Chandler Building Blocks preschool program operates out of 3 City facilities and is offered 40 weeks out of the year. We work hard to create an enjoyable and memorable recreational-based program for ages 3-5 to assist their transition to a classroom environment. Our innovative team delivers quality Community Services in support of the City of Chandler's Mission and Values.
Who we are looking for
Our new team member will have a passion for team work, collaboration and instructing youth. We are looking for a Temp Recreation Leader II who will plan and supervise organized preschool classes. Ideal applicants will be energetic, creative, organized and can apply independent judgement in the classroom. Our lead instructor must demonstrate excellent customer service and be able to communicate effectively with participants, parents, co-workers and supervisors.
1. Conducts and supervises a variety of competitive and non-competitive games, arts and crafts, instructional and classroom activities for youth; maintains order and enforces game and program rules, regulations and policies to ensure safety and well being of participants.
2. Plans, schedules and organizes daily program activities.
3. Prepares materials and resources for activities, including arts and crafts materials, sports equipment and technical requirements.
4. Maintains required reporting, including daily attendance, activity, incident, and accident reports.
5. Assists in planning, organizing and setup of field trips, special events and projects.
6. Maintains a clean and safe environment at assigned recreation site; sanitizes equipment, vacuums, mops, and removes trash.
- High School Diploma or GED equivalency; and
- One (1) year of experience in a recreation environment working with preschool aged children; and
- Valid Arizona Driver's License with acceptable driving record; and
- First Aid and CPR/AED certifications may be required depending on assignment; or
- Any equivalent combination of experience and training which provides the knowledge and abilities necessary to perform the work.
- Two (2) years in a recreation environment working with preschool aged children
The City of Chandler fingerprints all applicants selected for hire to evaluate the fitness of prospective employees. The examination process may vary if determined necessary.
Applicants for employment and volunteer opportunities should be aware of the City of Chandler's policies concerning the use of drugs and alcohol. These policies have not been altered by the passage of Proposition 207. The use of recreational marijuana is a violation of the City's Drug Free Workplace Policy. A positive result for drugs tested under the policy, including recreational marijuana, may be grounds for withdrawal of an offer of employment or volunteer opportunity.
The City of Chandler is committed to Equal Opportunity & Reasonable Accommodation Closing Date/Time: 5/24/2023 11:59 PM Arizona