Mohave County Development Servicesis currently recruiting for a Planner II in the Planning and Zoning Division.
Depending on qualifications, position may be filled as an Underfill. Posting will be used to fill current and future vacancies.
Performs professional intermediate level planning work involved in the research and development of county planning and implementation programs for the growth and development of Mohave County. Positions at this level requires prior experience in the gathering and analysis of data used in community and land use planning or related experience. Appointment to this level requires that the incumbent be performing the full range of duties and meet the qualification standards for the class.
Work is performed under general supervision of a higher level of authority and requires independent decisions according to established procedures.
May exercise functional and technical supervision of subordinates which includes but is not limited to Planner I's and Planning Technicians.
Essential Job Functions
- Reviews, researches, coordinates and analyzes subdivisions, site plans, mobile home parks, recreational vehicle parks and parcel plats review, including condominiums, preliminary and final plats, short plats, master plan concept plans and improvements.
- Reviews community and land development documents and proposals for adherence to established guidelines, rules and regulations.
- Reviews, researches, analyzes, and processes sketch plans, preliminary plans and final maps of subdivisions submitted to the County for approval.
- Reviews, coordinates and analyzes General Plan and Area Plan development, update and amendment.
- Evaluates abandonments, zoning cases and requests, dedications, subdivisions, parcel plats and other related issues and prepares written recommendations.
- Researches and collects data for studies through the use of surveys, interviews and other sources.
- Utilizes and applies computer applications in the performance of tasks associated with fulfilling work assignments to include implementation and operation of Geographic Information Systems (GIS).
- Assists the public and responds to requests and inquiries regarding zoning requirements, data, rules and regulations or other matters related to Planning & Zoning activities and projects.
- Performs field evaluations.
- Verifies accuracy of legal descriptions.
- Prepares information items and resolutions.
- Prepares materials, to include reports and recommendations, for presentation to Planning and Zoning Commission, Board of Supervisors, hearings and public meetings.
- Attends Planning and Zoning Commission, Board of Supervisors and Board of Adjustment meetings and performs formal presentations.
- Organizes and attends public meetings and hearings and meets with authorized agents and agencies, property owners, developers, engineers, consultants, experts, staff and other data providers to gather information, review and present recommendations, make decisions concerning land uses, determine compliance with the General Plan/Area Plan and land use regulations and applications.
- Conducts special studies and assignments as required on various Planning and Zoning activities and projects to include census and other demographic analysis and mapping.
- Maintains land planning records, files and maps.
- Coordinates cartographic and graphic work.
- Coordinates the recording of documents, collects fees and assists the public with inquiries.
SECONDARY JOB FUNCTIONS
- Performs related work as required.
- Performs special assignments as requested.
- Exercise regular and predictable attendance and punctuality in accordance with Mohave County Personnel Policies and Procedures.
- A Bachelor's Degree in urban or regional planning, or related applicable field.
- Five years of experience in urban or regional planning in general or specialized fields.
- Any equivalent combination of education, experience, and training which provides the required knowledge, skills and abilities may be considered in meeting the minimum qualifications.
Preferred Minimum Education, Experience and Training
- Possession of valid certification through the AICP (American Institute of Certified Planners) desirable.
SPECIAL JOB REQUIREMENT
- Must possess a valid driver's license for operation of motor vehicles on Arizona roads at the start of employment and maintain said license while employed in this position.
- Must provide acceptable driving history at no cost to the County.
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities
- Principles, practices and techniques of community planning and zoning
- Economics, public finance and sociology as applied to community planning.
- Principles and practices of engineering and physical design as applied to community planning.
- County, State and Federal laws, rules and regulations pertaining to community planning, industrial development and community conservation.
- Land use regulations and zoning codes, their structure and application.
- Graphic techniques and topographic mapping.
- Basic statistical methods.
- The applications of data processing techniques to Planning and Zoning systems.
- Computing literacy to include use of graphics, word processing and electronic spreadsheet applications and GIS (Geographical Information Systems).
- Conducting public meetings and working well with the public.
- Precise attention to detail.
- Application processing.
- Utilizing computer systems and applications, personal computers, networked system, Internet and GIS in the performance of work assignments, such as graphics, word processing, databases and electronic spreadsheets.
- Apply the principles and practices of urban or regional planning.
- Establish and maintain effective working relationships with department personnel, County departments, planning agencies and the public.
- Interpret planning requirements and objectives to interest groups and the general public.
- Plan, organize, coordinate and present urban and regional planning projects and conduct technical research on economic, sociological and planning problems.
- Perform research work, compile and analyze data and statistical information and prepare and present clear and concise oral and written technical reports and recommendations.
- Interpret and utilize current planning information pertaining to work assignments.
- Perform the essential functions of the job specifications with or without a reasonable accommodation.
Closing Date/Time: 4/30/2020 5:00 PM Arizona