Please Note: The annual salary range as of June 19, 2022, will be $60,195.20 - $87,526.40
The application and supplemental questions are an integral part of the selection process, and must be completed in full in order for you to be considered as a candidate. Please complete each section and answer all questions as thoroughly as possible. DO NOT state "See resume" in lieu of answering. Unanswered questions, incomplete responses, omissions, or partial information may result in disqualification from the selection process.
About the Position
The Planner performs responsible, advanced level professional work related to community planning and development City-wide, as well as in sub-areas and neighborhoods. This position is in the Current Planning Section and works on a variety of development review projects and policy implementation.
Applicants whose education, training and experience most closely meet the needs of the position may be invited to participate in a selection process to include a panel interview and an assessment exercise. Successful candidates will receive a post-offer, pre-employment background screening to include:
- Criminal Background screening for the past 7 years
The City of Scottsdale reserves the right to change this process at any time.
Click here to review the entire job description.
Education and Experience
- Requires a Bachelor's degree in Urban Planning, Architecture, Landscape Architecture, or Geography from an accredited educational institution.
- Two years of professional planning experience.
- An equivalent combination of education and job related experience may substitute for the educational requirements in a year-for-year basis.
Licensing, Certifications and Other Requirements
- Every person employed by the City of Scottsdale shall reside in the State of Arizona during his or her active employment by the City, regardless of whether the employee is approved to remote work.
Other pertinent licenses and/or certifications may be required of some positions depending on division/department/services assignment.
Performs duties and responsibilities commensurate with assigned functional area which may include, but are not limited to, any combination of the following:
- Provides factual and accurate information to the public regarding planning activity.
- Reviews site plans and construction plans for conformance with applicable City regulations and requirements.
- Meets with property owners, attorneys, developers and other design professionals to discuss and resolve planning and development issues and exercises discretion in problem solving and negotiating agreements.
- Conducts research and analysis, evaluates findings, identifies significant issues and develops staff recommendations on routine complex projects.
- Makes presentations of completed reports to the various Boards, Commissions and citizen groups; periodically participates in Planning Commission, City Council, Board of Adjustment, and Development Review Board meetings.
- Represents the City at meetings with outside organizations and citizen groups.
- Seeks out the assistance of other staff members on complicated issues to ensure that all angles have been explored that lead to a sound and defensible position.
Current Planning Section
- Works on commercial, residential, and mixed use projects in the City's downtown and surrounding areas, as well as new and infill commercial projects, high end office development in the air park (airport) area, planned communities for residential and commercial development projects, including preservation of environmentally sensitive lands.
Work Environment/Physical Demands
The physical demands and work environment characteristics described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this position or that an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this position. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Visually inspect and review technical documents including surveys, site plans, landscape plans and elevation drawings.
- Travel to/from meetings and various City locations.
- Attend evening and weekend Commission, Council, and Community meetings as required.
EQUAL EMPLOYMENT OPPORTUNITY: It is the policy of the city to provide employment opportunities to all persons based solely on ability, regardless of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, sexual orientation, gender identity or disability.
When advised, reasonable accommodations will be made in order for an "otherwise qualified applicant" with a disability to participate in any phase of the recruitment process. Please contact Human Resources to request an accommodation. Persons with a disability may request a reasonable accommodation by contacting HR Receptionist at (480) 312-2491. Requests should be made 24 hours in advance or as early as possible to allow time to arrange the accommodation. For TTY users, the Arizona Relay Service (1-800-367-8939) may contact HR Receptionist at (480) 312-2491.
This position description does not constitute an employment agreement between the employer and employee and is subject to change by the employer as the needs of the employer and requirements of the position change.
Closing Date/Time: 9/29/2022 11:59 PM Arizona