Payroll Specialist Senior
Join our team and be a part of Scottsdale's future! We are looking for an enthusiastic team player who is looking to make an impact through their work. Our office is in the heart of Old Town, across from city hall. The position supports all operations of the city and ensures timely and accurate payments to the city's employees. This position will annually receive 12 paid holidays, 96 hours of medical leave, 3 weeks of vacation, and health and dental benefits start immediately. Productivity, performance, and job satisfaction are encouraged through a balanced workload, schedule flexibility, and a commitment to professional development. Apply today if you are excited to be a part of a high-performing team dedicated to serving a world-class community.
Education and Experience:
- A high school diploma or General Educational Development (GED) equivalent.
- Three years of payroll experience.
- Preferred: Government experience.
Licensing, Certifications and Other Requirements:
- Every person employed by the City of Scottsdale shall reside in the State of Arizona during his or her active employment by the City, regardless of whether the employee is approved to remote work.
Other pertinent licenses and/or certifications may be required of some positions depending on division/department/section assignment.
- Performs operational oversight, assigns and monitors Payroll Specialists in tasks reprioritizing work as the business need requires. Reviews work for completeness, accuracy, and compliance with Federal and State laws and City administrative regulations.
- Maintains written procedures identifying appropriate internal controls, administrative regulations and appropriate State, Federal and/or legal support for all payroll processes performed.
- Responds to and resolves complex and sensitive customer inquiries regarding payroll policies and procedures both verbally and in writing.
- Executes the payroll, validates paychecks, and ensures that all payroll deadlines are met in accordance with the pay period schedule.
- Ensures accurate calculation and remittance of all withholding liabilities for all City employees on a timely basis, including quarterly and annual Federal and State reporting, retirement plans, etc.
- Reconciles all payroll liabilities to the general ledger and processes journal entries to record activity.
- Processes and distributes annual W-2 forms and submits all annual reporting to required Federal agencies.
Work Environment/Physical Demands
The physical demands and work environment characteristics described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this position or that an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this position. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable qualified individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Most work is performed in a City office environment.
- Lift and carry materials weighing up to 30 pounds.
- Operate a variety of standard office equipment including computer, telephone, copy and fax machine requiring continuous and repetitive arm, hand and eye movement.
- Travel to/from meetings and various City locations.
To view the full job description, work environment and physical demands, click HERE.
The City of Scottsdale offers a comprehensive benefits package including:
- 12 Paid Holidays, which includes 1 Floating Holiday
- Vacation Accrual; starts at 10.3 hours/month
- Sick Leave Accrual; 8 hours/month
- Medical (which includes behavioral health coverage), Dental and Vision Benefits
- City Paid Basic Life Insurance (equal to one times employee annual salary); option of Supplemental Life Insurance
- Tuition Reimbursement; $2,500/year
- Participation in the Arizona State Retirement System (ASRS) Defined benefit plan with mandatory employer and employee contributions currently at 12.29% which includes a Long-Term Disability benefit
- Supplemental Retirement Plans through Nationwide; 457
- Pet Insurance
- Bilingual pay compensation
Please visit the Benefits Information page for more information.
The application and supplemental questions are an integral part of the selection process and must be completed in full in order for you to be considered as a candidate. Please complete each section and answer all questions as thoroughly as possible. DO NOT state "See Resume" in lieu of answering. Unanswered questions, incomplete responses, omissions, or partial information may result in disqualification from the selection process.
Applicants whose education, training and experience most closely meet the needs of the position may be invited to participate in a selection process that may include a panel interview. Successful candidates will receive a post-offer, pre-employment background screening that may include:
Fingerprinting search of the national FBI DatabaseCriminal Background screening
The City of Scottsdale reserves the right to change this process at any time, potentially without advance notice.
PLEASE NOTE: Years of experience are based on a work schedule of 2,080 hours per year for full-time positions and 1,040 hours per year for part-time positions, and while work experience may substitute for education on a year-for-year basis, depending upon the job classification, education may not be substituted for work experience.
EQUAL EMPLOYMENT OPPORTUNITY: It is the policy of the city to provide employment opportunities to all persons based solely on ability, regardless of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, sexual orientation, gender identity or disability.
When advised, reasonable accommodations will be made in order for an "otherwise qualified applicant" with a disability to participate in any phase of the recruitment process. Please contact Human Resources to request an accommodation. Persons with a disability may request a reasonable accommodation by contacting HR Receptionist at (480) 312-2491. Requests should be made 24 hours in advance or as early as possible to allow time to arrange the accommodation. For TTY users, the Arizona Relay Service (1-800-367-8939) may contact HR Receptionist at (480) 312-2491.
T his position description does not constitute an employment agreement between the employer and employee and is subject to change by the employer as the needs of the employer and requirements of the position change.
Closing Date/Time: 12/1/2023 11:59 PM Arizona