Parks Maintenance Foreman – Maintenance-Chaparral Park
About the Position
The Scottsdale Parks and Recreation Department is seeking a motivated and hard working Parks Foreman to manage a variety of high use park areas within south Scottsdale. The Parks Maintenance Foreman will be in charge of managing the maintenance team that maintains a large community center park, Chaparral Park. Chaparral Park is a 100 acre park that includes a large dog park, urban fishing lake, fishing pier, inclusive playground, six ball fields, three soccer fields, two sand volleyball courts, three reservable ramadas, and an outdoor exercise course. In addition to management of maintenance of Chaparral Park, the maintenance team maintains three neighborhood parks and low flow land parcels west of Hayden road.
The ideal candidate for the Parks Foreman position will be able to manage multiple projects, staff, and field preparation. The candidate will be able to develop and follow a yearly and weekly work calendar and properly manage their own time in addition to the time of a maintenance team.
Education and Experience
- A high school diploma or General Education Development (GED) equivalent.
- Three years of experience in landscaping, turf management, parks maintenance, or a related field.
- Six months of supervisory experience in landscaping, turf management, parks maintenance, or a related field.
Licensing, Certifications, and Other Requirements
- Must possess and maintain a valid, unrestricted Arizona driver's license with no major citations within the past 39 months prior to the start date.
- Within six months of hire, an Arizona Pest Control Applicator certification possessing Category 1 (Industrial and Institutional), Category 3 (Ornamental & Turf), and Category 4 (Right-of-Way) must be obtained.
- Preferred: any combination of the following
- Certified Playground Safety Inspector (CPSI).
- International Society of Arboricultural (ISA) Certified Arborist.
- Extension Turf Grass Certification.
- Certified SportsField Manager.
Every person employed by the City of Scottsdale shall reside in the State of Arizona during his or her active employment by the City, regardless of whether the employee is approved to remote work. Other pertinent licenses and/or certifications may be required of some positions depending on division/department/service assignment.
Performs duties and responsibilities commensurate with assigned functional area which may include, but are not limited to, any combination of the following:
- Supervises employees and coordinates personnel-related activities to include, but not limited to: training, approving work schedules, recommending/approving personnel actions, coaching and counseling, establishing performance goals, and writing performance evaluations.
- Monitors work to ensure completion and provides daily feedback to maintenance workers.
- Maintains accurate records of work activities; performs monthly audits and maintains work management system reports.
- Keeps manager informed of hazards or problems in the field and takes corrective action; responds to emergencies and changing priorities; recommends improvements.
- Uses various hand tools such as shovels, rakes, power sprayers, chain saw, and backpack blower.
- Prepares the maintenance budget for assigned areas of responsibility. Regularly monitors budget to ensure it is not overspent; orders supplies.
- Oversees various construction projects in assigned areas; may attend pre-planning contractor meetings.
Work Environment/Physical Demands
The physical demands and work environment characteristics described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this position or that an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this position. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable qualified individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Work in a variety of weather conditions including extreme heat.
- Bend/stoop repeatedly and lift arms above head.
- Exercise good physical and hand/eye coordination.
- Move heavy objects up to 50 pounds or more with assistance and work at heights greater than 10 feet.
- Operate a hand radio and standard office equipment including a personal computer or adding machine requiring continuous and repetitive arm, hand, and eye movement.
- Perform maintenance functions maneuvering small objects requiring manual dexterity.
- Operate a motor vehicle, heavy equipment, and various hand tools.
- Works a varied schedule including: nights, weekends, and holidays.
To view the full job description, work environment and physical demands, click here .
The City of Scottsdale offers a comprehensive benefits package including:
• 12 Paid Holidays, which includes 1 Floating Holiday
• Vacation Accrual; starts at 10.3 hours/month
• Sick Leave Accrual; 8 hours/month
• Medical (which includes behavioral health coverage), Dental and Vision Benefits
• City Paid Basic Life Insurance (equal to one times employee annual salary); option of Supplemental Life Insurance
• Tuition Reimbursement; $2,500/year
• Participation in the Arizona State Retirement System (ASRS) Defined benefit plan with mandatory employer and employee contributions currently at 12.29% which includes a Long-Term Disability benefit
• Supplemental Retirement Plans through Nationwide; 457
• Pet Insurance
• Bilingual pay compensation
Please visit the Benefits Information page for more information.
The application and supplemental questions are an integral part of the selection process and must be completed in full in order for you to be considered as a candidate. Please complete each section and answer all questions as thoroughly as possible. DO NOT state "See Resume" in lieu of answering. Unanswered questions, incomplete responses, omissions, or partial information may result in disqualification from the selection process.
Applicants whose education, training and experience most closely meet the needs of the position may be invited to participate in a selection process that may include a panel interview. Successful candidates will receive a post-offer, pre-employment background screening that may include:
• Fingerprinting search of the national FBI Database
• Criminal Background screening
• Drug Screen
• 39-Month Motor Vehicle Department Records Check
The City of Scottsdale reserves the right to change this process at any time, potentially without advance notice.
PLEASE NOTE: Years of experience are based on a work schedule of 2,080 hours per year for full-time positions and 1,040 hours per year for part-time positions, and while work experience may substitute for education on a year-for-year basis, depending upon the job classification, education may not be substituted for work experience.
EQUAL EMPLOYMENT OPPORTUNITY: It is the policy of the city to provide employment opportunities to all persons based solely on ability, regardless of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, sexual orientation, gender identity or disability.
When advised, reasonable accommodations will be made in order for an "otherwise qualified applicant" with a disability to participate in any phase of the recruitment process. Please contact Human Resources to request an accommodation. Persons with a disability may request a reasonable accommodation by contacting HR Receptionist at (480) 312-2491. Requests should be made 24 hours in advance or as early as possible to allow time to arrange the accommodation. For TTY users, the Arizona Relay Service (1-800-367-8939) may contact HR Receptionist at (480) 312-2491.
This position description does not constitute an employment agreement between the employer and employee and is subject to change by the employer as the needs of the employer and requirements of the position change.
Closing Date/Time: 11/13/2023 11:59 PM Arizona