Maintenance Worker II – Professional Baseball
About The Position
This position performs maintenance on the professional baseball fields at Scottsdale Stadium and the Indian School Park Facility. This position is responsible for maintaining fields to Major League Baseball standards. Work includes but not limited to mound sloping, proper fertilization and calibration techniques, pesticide application, edging, mowing, irrigation repair, aeration, overseeding, and landscape work. This position will be required to work an alternate work schedule that will include nights and weekends. There are several times throughout the year when a significant amount of overtime could occur.
Education and Experience:
- A high school diploma or General Educational Development (GED) equivalent.
- One year of experience at the Maintenance Worker I level or equivalent experience in the areas of public works, grounds or landscape maintenance.
Licensing, Certifications, and Other Requirements:
- Must possess and maintain a valid, unrestricted driver's license with no major citations within the past 39 months prior to the start date. The Arizona Department of Motor Vehicles requires that out-of-state driver's licenses must be surrendered within 10 days of relocating to the State of Arizona.
- Within six months of hire, an Arizona Pest Control Applicator certification possessing Category 1 (Industrial and Institutional), Category 3 (Ornamental & Turf) and Category 4 (Right-of-Way) must be obtained.
- Every person employed by the City of Scottsdale shall reside in the State of Arizona during his or her active employment by the City, regardless of whether the employee is approved to remote work.
Other pertinent licenses and/or certifications may be required of some positions depending on department/section assignment.
Performs duties and responsibilities commensurate with assigned functional area which may include, but are not limited to, any combination of the following:
- Performs grounds keeping duties, such as: monitoring park areas, cleaning ramadas, and maintaining parks and surrounding facilities, to ensure areas are: safe, litter free, and clean.
- Performs trash pick-up, raking, shrub and tree pruning, planting, trimming, fertilizing, and general upkeep of: the City's medians and right-of-ways, bus stops, and/or parks and surrounding grounds areas.
- Checks irrigation systems for proper watering schedule; installs, maintains, and repairs: irrigation system lines, heads, and controllers; troubleshoots controllers and electrical problems; performs minor repairs and assists in inspection of contractor projects.
- Preps professional baseball fields and recreation softball fields by dragging compacted soil and high spots, and fills in dirt to obtain a smooth surface; maintains infields and running areas to obtain optimum playing conditions.
- Uses a variety of hand tools, operates an EZ-GO cart, and drives City vehicles.
- Calibrates seed and fertilizer spreaders to uniformly plant seed or fertilize turf. Calibrates and correctly applies liquid fertilizer and herbicides.
- Plants and prunes trees and shrubs utilizing proper methods according to Arizona Landscape Professional standards.
Work Environment/Physical Demands
The physical demands and work environment characteristics described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this position or that an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this position. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable qualified individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Perform manual work that requires: standing and walking/moving continuous periods of time, digging, lifting, bending, standing, and climbing elevations.
- Access paved, gravel, or turf park areas to perform the general grounds maintenance functions.
- Operate small and medium hand-held equipment weighing up to 50 pounds such as: blowers, weed eaters, trimmers, edgers, chain saws, mowers, and power washers.
- Perform painting tasks.
- Use manual tools such as rakes and shovels.
- Lift objects weighing up to 50 pounds.
- Exposure to dirt, dust, pollen, inclement weather, chemicals, temperature extremes, traffic hazards, and unpleasant odors.
- Travel to/from various locations.
- Perform sprinkler maintenance; repair lines, heads - Clean and care for tools and equipment; perform minor repairs on equipment.
- Visual and muscular dexterity to operate: equipment, hand tools, computer, two-way radio, a small tractor, and a City truck or EZ-GO.
- Work varied schedule according to season including: weekends, evenings, and overtime..
To view the full job description, work environment and physical demands, click here .
The City of Scottsdale offers a comprehensive benefits package including:
• 12 Paid Holidays, which includes 1 Floating Holiday
• Vacation Accrual; starts at 10.3 hours/month
• Sick Leave Accrual; 8 hours/month
• Medical (which includes behavioral health coverage), Dental and Vision Benefits
• City Paid Basic Life Insurance (equal to one times employee annual salary); option of Supplemental Life Insurance
• Tuition Reimbursement; $2,500/year
• Participation in the Arizona State Retirement System (ASRS) Defined benefit plan with mandatory employer and employee contributions currently at 12.29% which includes a Long-Term Disability benefit
• Supplemental Retirement Plans through Nationwide; 457
• Pet Insurance
• Bilingual pay compensation
Please visit the Benefits Information page for more information.
The application and supplemental questions are an integral part of the selection process and must be completed in full in order for you to be considered as a candidate. Please complete each section and answer all questions as thoroughly as possible. DO NOT state "See Resume" in lieu of answering. Unanswered questions, incomplete responses, omissions, or partial information may result in disqualification from the selection process.
Applicants whose education, training and experience most closely meet the needs of the position may be invited to participate in a selection process that may include a panel interview. Successful candidates will receive a post-offer, pre-employment background screening that may include:
• Fingerprinting search of the national FBI Database
• Criminal Background screening
• Drug Screen
• 39-Month Motor Vehicle Department Records Check
The City of Scottsdale reserves the right to change this process at any time, potentially without advance notice.
PLEASE NOTE: Years of experience are based on a work schedule of 2,080 hours per year for full-time positions and 1,040 hours per year for part-time positions, and while work experience may substitute for education on a year-for-year basis, depending upon the job classification, education may not be substituted for work experience.
EQUAL EMPLOYMENT OPPORTUNITY: It is the policy of the city to provide employment opportunities to all persons based solely on ability, regardless of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, sexual orientation, gender identity or disability.
When advised, reasonable accommodations will be made in order for an "otherwise qualified applicant" with a disability to participate in any phase of the recruitment process. Please contact Human Resources to request an accommodation. Persons with a disability may request a reasonable accommodation by contacting HR Receptionist at (480) 312-2491. Requests should be made 24 hours in advance or as early as possible to allow time to arrange the accommodation. For TTY users, the Arizona Relay Service (1-800-367-8939) may contact HR Receptionist at (480) 312-2491.
This position description does not constitute an employment agreement between the employer and employee and is subject to change by the employer as the needs of the employer and requirements of the position change.
Closing Date/Time: 11/21/2023 11:59 PM Arizona