Maintenance Worker II – Groundskeeping (Various Locations)
Located in the beautiful Sonoran Desert, Scottsdale, Arizona is bordered by Phoenix to the west and the McDowell Mountains on the east. Scottsdale is annually rated among the nation's most desirable communities to live in, visit and do business in. Check out more about Scottsdale.
About The Position
The City of Scottsdale currently has two vacancies available:
Scottsdale Civic Center:
This position is responsible for performing routine landscape maintenance and minor irrigation. Duties consist of, but are not limited to the upkeep and repair of City-owned parks, buildings, facilities, medians, rights-of-ways, and downtown areas by trimming shrubs and trees, manually raking and removing weeds, removing and planting seasonal flowers, pulling trash, picking up litter, and operating gas-powered landscaping equipment. Please note that this position will require alternating weekend shifts.
This position performs maintenance on the professional baseball fields at Scottsdale Stadium and the Indian School Park Facility. This position is responsible for maintaining fields to Major League Baseball standards. Work includes but not limited to mound sloping, proper fertilization and calibration techniques, pesticide application, edging, mowing, irrigation repair, aeration, overseeding, and landscape work. This position will be required to work an alternate work schedule that will include nights and weekends. There are several times throughout the year when a significant amount of overtime could occur.
Applicants whose education, training and experience most closely meet the needs of the position may be invited to participate in a selection process to include a panel interview and an assessment exercise. Successful candidates will receive a post-offer, pre-employment background screening to include:
- Criminal Background screening for the past 7 years
- Motor Vehicle Department Records Check
- Drug Screening
Education and Experience:
- A high school diploma or General Educational Development (GED) equivalent.
- One year experience at the Maintenance Worker I level or equivalent experience in the areas of public works, grounds or landscape maintenance.
Licensing, Certifications, and Other Requirements:
- Must possess and maintain a valid, unrestricted Arizona driver's license with no major citations within the past 39 months prior to the start date.
- Within six months of hire, an Arizona Pest Control Applicator certification possessing Category 1 (Industrial and Institutional), Category 3 (Ornamental & Turf) and Category 4 (Right-of-Way) must be obtained.
- Every person employed by the City of Scottsdale shall reside in the State of Arizona during his or her active employment by the City, regardless of whether the employee is approved to remote work.
Other pertinent licenses and/or certifications may be required of some positions depending on department/section assignment.
Performs duties and responsibilities commensurate with assigned functional area which may include, but are not limited to, any combination of the following:
- Performs grounds keeping duties, such as: monitoring park areas, cleaning ramadas, and maintaining parks and surrounding facilities, to ensure areas are: safe, litter free, and clean.
- Performs trash pick-up, raking, shrub and tree pruning, planting, trimming, fertilizing, and general upkeep of: the City's medians and right-of-ways, bus stops, and/or parks and surrounding grounds areas.
- Checks irrigation systems for proper watering schedule; installs, maintains, and repairs: irrigation system lines, heads, and controllers; troubleshoots controllers and electrical problems; performs minor repairs and assists in inspection of contractor projects.
- Uses a variety of hand tools, operates an EZ-GO cart, and drives City vehicles.
- Plants and prunes trees and shrubs utilizing proper methods according to Arizona Landscape Professional standards.
Work Environment/Physical Demands
The physical demands and work environment characteristics described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this position or that an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this position. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Lift objects weighing up to 50 pounds.
Click here to review the entire job description.
The City of Scottsdale reserves the right to change this process at any time.
EQUAL EMPLOYMENT OPPORTUNITY: It is the policy of the city to provide employment opportunities to all persons based solely on ability, regardless of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, sexual orientation, gender identity or disability.
When advised, reasonable accommodations will be made in order for an "otherwise qualified applicant" with a disability to participate in any phase of the recruitment process. Please contact Human Resources to request an accommodation. Persons with a disability may request a reasonable accommodation by contacting HR Receptionist at (480) 312-2491. Requests should be made 24 hours in advance or as early as possible to allow time to arrange the accommodation. For TTY users, the Arizona Relay Service (1-800-367-8939) may contact HR Receptionist at (480) 312-2491.
This position description does not constitute an employment agreement between the employer and employee and is subject to change by the employer as the needs of the employer and requirements of the position change.