Library Page – Various Locations (PT)
At Scottsdale Public Library, our mission is putting people at the heart of dynamic library services. We recognize we are a work in progress and invite you to consider joining us in our efforts to achieve this mission.
How we put our patrons at the HEART of what we do:
We continually work towards being consistent in providing quality services and leaving our patrons feeling good after interacting with us. We like to keep things light by bringing fun and a little weirdness into the library. We place the highest value on making sure patrons feel comfortable being their authentic selves in our spaces: in the library building, out in the community, or online. The library promotes belonging everywhere.
How we put you at the HEART of what we do:
We trust you to learn the position and make it yours. Our organization prefers genuine learning and a few wrong turns over perfection. We want your unique personality, your way of thinking, and your questions to add to the make-up of how we serve. Just like with our patrons, we place the highest value on making sure you feel you can be your authentic self. We support individuality and believe that a healthy work-life balance produces the best environment for serving our community.
Read on if our mission and work culture resonate with you.
About The Position
The ideal candidate has customer service experience and is comfortable working with a wide range of age groups including parents, young children, teens, adults, and seniors; can work independently and as part of a team, and takes pride in maintaining a neat and orderly library for patrons. The Library Page accurately checks in using a computer or automated sorter, re-shelves library materials; searches and pulls materials from various computer generated lists within the collection; and assists library staff with opening and closing the library. The Library Page should have the ability to regularly work a varied schedule including evenings and weekends.
Please note the following:
- Part-time positions have limited benefits, as required by law.
- Part-time positions are unclassified, at-will and serve at the discretion of City.
- Interviews will be conducted periodically throughout this job posting when a sufficient number of applications have been received.
- The intent of this recruitment is to establish an eligibility list where your application may be used to fill existing and/or future vacancies in various branch locations.
Education and Experience
- A high school diploma or General Educational Development (GED) equivalent.
- Any combination of training, education, and experience required to perform the job.
Licensing, Certifications and other Requirements
- Every person employed by the City of Scottsdale shall reside in the State of Arizona during his or her active employment by the City, regardless of whether the employee is approved to remote work.
Performs duties and responsibilities commensurate with assigned functional area which may include, but are not limited to, any combination of the following:
- Sorts and shelves materials in all areas of the library as accurately and quickly as possible.
- Uses computer system to check-in returned items, create paging list, and search for missing items.
- Empties book drops; checks in and sorts materials as assigned.
- Regularly neatens tables, carrels, and public seating areas to provide an inviting atmosphere for customers.
- Assists in Circulation including issuing library cards and staffing drive up window as needed.
Work Environment/Physical Demands
- Lifts crates of books weighing up to 50 pounds and pushes a fully loaded book cart weighing up to 300 pounds.
- Works evening and weekend hours on a regular basis. Must be able to work a varied schedule.
To view the full job description, work environment and physical demands, click here .
The application and supplemental questions are an integral part of the selection process and must be completed in full in order for you to be considered as a candidate. Please complete each section and answer all questions as thoroughly as possible. DO NOT state "See Resume" in lieu of answering. Unanswered questions, incomplete responses, omissions, or partial information may result in disqualification from the selection process.
Applicants whose education, training and experience most closely meet the needs of the position may be invited to participate in a selection process that may include a panel interview. Successful candidates will receive a post-offer, pre-employment background screening that may include:
- Fingerprinting search of the national FBI Database
- Criminal Background screening
The City of Scottsdale reserves the right to change this process at any time, potentially without advance notice.
EQUAL EMPLOYMENT OPPORTUNITY: It is the policy of the city to provide employment opportunities to all persons based solely on ability, regardless of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, sexual orientation, gender identity or disability.
When advised, reasonable accommodations will be made in order for an "otherwise qualified applicant" with a disability to participate in any phase of the recruitment process. Please contact Human Resources to request an accommodation. Persons with a disability may request a reasonable accommodation by contacting HR Receptionist at (480) 312-2491. Requests should be made 24 hours in advance or as early as possible to allow time to arrange the accommodation. For TTY users, the Arizona Relay Service (1-800-367-8939) may contact HR Receptionist at (480) 312-2491.
This position description does not constitute an employment agreement between the employer and employee and is subject to change by the employer as the needs of the employer and requirements of the position change.
Closing Date/Time: 11/30/2023 11:59 PM Arizona