ITS Signals Tech I
Located in the beautiful Sonoran Desert, Scottsdale, Arizona is bordered by Phoenix to the west and the McDowell Mountains on the east. Scottsdale is annually rated among the nation's most desirable communities to live in, visit and do business in. Check out more about Scottsdale.
The application and supplemental questions are an integral part of the selection process, and must be completed in full in order for you to be considered as a candidate. Please complete each section and answer all questions as thoroughly as possible. DO NOT state "See resume" in lieu of answering. Unanswered questions, incomplete responses, omissions, or partial information may result in disqualification from the selection process.
About The Position:
Performs semi-skilled work of routine to moderate difficulty in the installation, maintenance, and repair of traffic signals and streetlights, and underground utility identification (blue staking)in Street Operations within Public Works.
Applicants whose education, training and experience most closely meet the needs of the position may be invited to participate in a selection process to include a panel interview and an assessment exercise. Successful candidates will receive a post-offer, pre-employment background screening to include:
- Criminal Background screening for the past 7 years
- Drug Testing
- Physical Examination
- Motor Vehicle Department Records Check
Education and Experience:
- A high school diploma or General Educational Development (GED) equivalent.
- Oneyear of related experience in installation, maintenance, or repair of traffic signals, streetlights and ITS infrastructure, construction experience, electrical experience at an apprentice level, or blue staking underground utilities or mapping.
Licensing, Certifications and Other Requirements:
- Must possess and maintain a valid, unrestricted Arizona driver's license with no major citations within the past 39 months prior to the start date.
- Individuals in this classification must possess a valid Class "A" Commercial Driver License (CDL) with no air brake restriction, if applicable with no major driving citations within the past 39 months withinsix monthsof hire or promotion date.
- Individuals in a CDL position will be subject to unannounced alcohol and drug testing as required by law.
- American Traffic Safety Services Association (ATSSA) Traffic Control Technician Certification or International Municipal Signal Association (IMSA) Work Zone Temporary Traffic Control Technician Certification.
Other pertinent licenses and/or certifications may be required of some positions depending on department/section assignment.
Performs duties and responsibilities commensurate with assigned functional area which may include, but are not limited to, any combination of the following:
- Assists in the construction of new signalized intersections including the installation of underground conduit and pull boxes, preparation and installation of: poles and mast arms, luminaries, pole foundations, and cabinet bases.
- Assists in the preventive maintenance and repairs of ITS signal equipment
- Replaces burned out lamps and performs other repairs on street lights.
- Operates construction and maintenance equipment such as: Derrick trucks, dump trucks, platform trucks, bucket trucks, concrete saws, and drills.
- Places barricading and traffic control devices to ensure a safe work environment.
- Locates and marks traffic signals and ITS electrical and fiber optic infrastructure requested through Arizona Blue Stake Center and required by State law prior to excavating.
- Visually distinguish the full range of the color spectrum in order to differentiate the 20-conductor wire in a pull-box.
Work Environment/Physical Demands
The physical demands and work environment characteristics described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this position or that an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this position. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Work performed in various maintenance settings and field situations.
- Visually distinguish the full range of the color spectrum.
- Seldom sedentary and includes walking or moving. Work sometimes involves: climbing ladders and working at heights greater than ten feet, bending and stooping repeatedly, lifting arms above head, and moderate muscular exertion and lifting.
- Exposure to dust, pollen, noise, inclement weather, temperature extremes, and unpleasant odors.
- Visual and muscular dexterity to operate: equipment, hand tools, computer, telephone, and two-way radio.
- Skillfully maneuver small objects.
- Lift and carry materials weighing over 90 pounds.
- Sit for extended periods of time while driving a City vehicle or equipment maintaining constant vigilance to the surrounding areas.
- Travel to/from meetings and various locations.
Click here to review the entire job description.
The City of Scottsdale reserves the right to change this process at any time.
EQUAL EMPLOYMENT OPPORTUNITY: It is the policy of the city to provide employment opportunities to all persons based solely on ability, regardless of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, sexual orientation, gender identity or disability.When advised, reasonable accommodations will be made in order for an "otherwise qualified applicant" with a disability to participate in any phase of the recruitment process. Please contact Human Resources to request an accommodation. Persons with a disability may request a reasonable accommodation by contacting HR Receptionist at (480) 312-2491. Requests should be made 24 hours in advance or as early as possible to allow time to arrange the accommodation. For TTY users, the Arizona Relay Service (1-800-367-8939) may contact HR Receptionist at (480) 312-2491.
This position description does not constitute an employment agreement between the employer and employee and is subject to change by the employer as the needs of the employer and requirements of the position change.
Closing Date/Time: 1/27/2020 11:59 PM Arizona