Human Services Specialist – Vista del Camino
Located in the beautiful Sonoran Desert, Scottsdale, Arizona is bordered by Phoenix to the west and the McDowell Mountains on the east. Scottsdale is annually rated among the nation's most desirable communities to live in, visit and do business in. Check out more about Scottsdale.
About The Position
Performs professional level social work activities which may include crisis intervention, information and referral services, home visits, short term supportive intervention, eligibility determination and/or case management at the City recreation/social services centers.
This position will be at Vista Del Camino Community Center and provides direct social services for citizens in need of assistance including, but not limited to, eviction prevention, utility assistance,emergency food boxes, financial education/coaching and community outreach. The ideal candidate will be able to process detailed eligibility applications timely while interacting with landlords, utility companies, employers and other required sources.
Applicants whose education, training and experience most closely meet the needs of the position may be invited to participate in a selection process to include a panel interview and an assessment exercise. Successful candidates will receive a post-offer, pre-employment background screening to include:
- Criminal Background screening for the past 7 years
- Drug Screening
Education and Experience
- A Bachelor's degree in Social Work, Psychology or closely related field from an accredited institution.
- Four years work experience in Social Work, Counseling or closely related field.
- An equivalent combination of education and job related experience may substitute for the educational requirements on a year-for-year basis.
- PREFERRED: A Master's Degree in Social Work, Psychology, Counseling or closely related field from an accredited institution.
- PREFERRED:Bilingual in Spanish/English is preferred.
Licensing, Certifications and Other Requirements
- Arizona Department of Public Safety (DPS) Level 1 Fingerprint Clearance Card is required within 60 days of hire date.
Other pertinent licenses and/or certifications may be required of some positions depending on division/department/section assignment.
Performs duties and responsibilities commensurate with assigned functional area which may include, but are not limited to, any combination of the following tasks:
- Provides various direct social services for citizens in need of assistance including health care, employment opportunity information, food, clothing, eviction prevention, utility assistance, education, community outreach and information and referral.
- Assess individual & family needs, determines eligibility, identifies appropriate services and provides case coordination, case management and follow-up.
- May assist in the planning, development, delivery and evaluation of services, programs and special events for youth, families, seniors, the homeless, volunteers and community groups.
- May assist with the orientation, training and coordination of volunteers and interns.
- Maintain up-to-date, detailed client records and statistics.
Work Environment/Physical Demands
The physical demands and work environment characteristics described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this position or that an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this position. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Lift and carry office materials, food boxes, donated items, tables and chairs up to 50 lbs.
- Operate a variety of standard office equipment including a computer, telephone, copy and fax machine requiring continuous and repetitive arm, hand, and eye movement.
Click here to review the entire job description.
The City of Scottsdale reserves the right to change this process at any time.
EQUAL EMPLOYMENT OPPORTUNITY: It is the policy of the city to provide employment opportunities to all persons based solely on ability, regardless of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, sexual orientation, gender identity or disability.
When advised, reasonable accommodations will be made in order for an "otherwise qualified applicant" with a disability to participate in any phase of the recruitment process. Please contact Human Resources to request an accommodation. Persons with a disability may request a reasonable accommodation by contacting HR Receptionist at (480) 312-2491. Requests should be made 24 hours in advance or as early as possible to allow time to arrange the accommodation. For TTY users, the Arizona Relay Service (1-800-367-8939) may contact HR Receptionist at (480) 312-2491.
Closing Date/Time: 2/4/2020 11:59 PM Arizona