Mohave County Community Services is currently recruiting for a Housing Specialist in the Housing Division located in Kingman, AZ.
Performs paraprofessional level work involved in the compilation and investigation of information for the determination of eligibility for housing assistance in accordance with local, state and federal program regulations and procedures for participation in County, State and Federal housing assistance programs and coordinating the Housing and Urban Development (HUD) Section 8 (Rental Assistance) and the Homebuyers Assistance Programs in Mohave County. Appointment to this level within the series requires that the incumbent be performing the full range of duties and meet the qualification standards.
A higher authority. The employee is expected to exercise initiative and independent judgment in conducting eligibility assessments and determinations in accordance with established procedures and regulations.
May exercise technical and functional supervision of subordinates.
Essential Job Functions
- Interviews applicants or designated representatives to obtain appropriate information and in the compilation of required forms in accordance with established procedures and regulations for Section 8 rental assistance, Homebuyers Assistance or other related low income housing programs.
- Investigates information received through verification of sources by mail, phone and in person to verify residency, household compositions and financial eligibility requirements collected from applicants and representatives. Prepares correspondence letters/forms to extract and verify information collected. Prepares confirmation letters of phone investigations.
- Completes and calculates eligibility determination and assistance based upon findings of investigation in accordance with established program regulations, procedures and time frames. Advises and notifies applicants and representatives of case status. Notifies applicants and representatives of decisions, appeal rights, ability to reapply for housing benefits. Informs eligible applicants of housing benefits and procedures available through local, State, and Federal housing assistance programs.
- Investigates inconsistent information provided by applicant to determine continued eligibility for housing assistance programs.
- Identifies and refers suspected cases of fraud to supervisor.
- Conducts initial inspections, annual inspections and re-inspections as assigned using specified forms and procedural guidelines to determine if rental units meet Housing Quality Standards (HQS) and related HUD requirements. Enforces HUD safety and sanitation regulations.
- Prepares agreement forms with landlords to secure housing units to be used in Section 8 program.
- Conducts surveys to determine rent reasonableness, comparable studies and housing needs.
- Explains program procedures, regulations, process and time frames to individuals, applicants and representatives. Responds to inquiries. Counsels clients who are not in compliance with program procedures and regulations and provides instructions to bring client into compliance. Prepares terminations of clients from programs.
- Prepares and furnishes materials to be reviewed by and to be acted upon by the Mohave County Housing Authority Board, maintaining appropriate minutes, files and records. Accomplishes other tasks as directed to complete the goals and objectives of the Housing Authority.
- Maintains constant liaison with community-based organizations and local officials, interpreting and explaining the Authority's program and viewpoints of housing, tenant services and other matters of interest to them and is responsible for representing the Authority and presenting their view and programs to the public.
- Maintains effective working relationships with HUD, Arizona Department of Commerce, FHA and other funding agencies.
- Maintains chronological charts, forms, folders, and other related documents notating and documenting accurate, up-to-date information of program activities and status of applicants and clients.
- Prepares reports and summaries of eligibility and applicant activity statistics and other related statistics.
- Performs a variety of clerical tasks to include but not limited to: scheduling appointments; answering phones; utilizing computer keyboard to perform such tasks as, but not limited to, inputting data and utilizing word processor; responding to or routing inquiries; referring and directing individuals, applicants and clients to appropriate agencies; assembling materials in preparation of interviews and investigations; completing and processing of forms and other documents; organizing information, records and other related documents; and filing.
- Communicates and acts in a professional manner with the public, co-workers, and work contacts.
SECONDARY JOB FUNCTIONS
- Performs related work as required.
- Performs special assignments as requested.
- Exercise regular and predictable attendance and punctuality in accordance with Mohave County Personnel Policies and Procedures.
- High School diploma/GED (General Education Degree)
- Two (2) years progressively responsible experience involved in the provision of housing assistance or in programs providing services to low income individuals and included interviewing, investigating and public contact work relating to the collection of financial status information and determination of eligibility for Local, State or Federal mandated program.
- An equivalent combination of education, experience, and training may be considered in meeting the minimum qualifications.
SPECIAL JOB REQUIREMENT
- Must possess a valid driver's license for operation of motor vehicles on Arizona roads at the start of employment and maintain said license while employed in this position.
- Provide acceptable driving history at no cost to the County.
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities
- Rules, regulations and policies affecting eligibility for housing assistance.
- Sources of information necessary to establish eligibility.
- Interviewing techniques to effectively obtain sensitive information.
- Assisted housing rental policies and procedures and the regulations and guidelines affecting assisted housing programs and services.
- Modern office practices and records maintenance procedures.
- Mathematics to perform calculations and general accounting procedures.
- Mohave County Merit Rules, Administrative Procedures and Department Regulations.
- Effectively operating a variety of office equipment to include: computer keyboard; scanner; fax transmittal; and copiers.
- Effectively utilizing computer systems and software applications, main frame and personal computers in the performance of work assignments.
- Understand and interpret pertinent federal and state laws and regulations related to the performance of activities with the administration of grants.
- Interview and investigate an individual's financial background.
- Make decisions in accordance with established policies and regulations.
- Understand, interpret and apply pertinent federal, state and local rules, regulations, procedures and policies regarding housing assistance programs to include departmental procedures and requirements.
- Present program information and requirements clearly and concisely to groups and individuals and to explain policies, procedures and regulations effectively.
- Maintain confidentiality and work independently.
- Understand and grasp ideas quickly and follow instructions with initiative and exercise good judgment.
- Perform basic mathematical computations accurately.
- Organize workload to ensure determinations are made on a timely basis.
- Communicate clearly and concisely, both orally and in writing.
- Maintain accurate and up-to-date records and documentation.
- Establish and maintain cooperative working relationships with those contacted in the course of work.
- Comply with Mohave County Merit Rules, Administrative Procedures and Department Regulations.
- Perform the essential functions of the job specifications with or without a reasonable accommodation.