General Manager – Westworld of Scottsdale
WestWorld of Scottsdale is a premier, internationally recognized, multi-use events facility in Scottsdale, Arizona. WestWorld annually hosts the Barrett-Jackson Classic Car Auction, as well as conventions, trade shows, concerts, equestrian shows and other events. Join our experienced event staff and top-notch operations crew who provide support to more than 100 events each year!
Scottsdale, Arizona is l ocated in the beautiful Sonoran Desert and is bordered by Phoenix to the west and the McDowell Mountains on the east. Scottsdale is annually rated among the nation's most desirable communities to live in, visit and do business in. Check out more about Scottsdale .
About the Position:
The WestWorld General Manger is responsible for providing the executive leadership, direction, and management for the WestWorld Department. This position supports the operating department's programs by assuring that administrative and operational services are responsive to the needs of program management.
The City of Scottsdale offers a comprehensive benefits package including:
- 12 Paid Holidays, which includes 1 Floating Holiday
- Vacation Accrual; starts at 10.3 hours/month
- Sick Leave Accrual; 8 hours/month
- Medical (which includes behavioral health coverage), Dental and Vision Benefits
- City Paid Basic Life Insurance (equal to one times employee annual salary); option of Supplemental Life Insurance
- Tuition Reimbursement; $2,500/year
- Participation in the Arizona State Retirement System (ASRS) Defined benefit plan with mandatory employer and employee contributions currently at 12.29% which includes a Long-Term Disability benefit
- Supplemental 457 Retirement Plans through Nationwide
- Pet Insurance
- Bilingual pay compensation
- For a more detailed overview of the employee benefits, click here.
The application and supplemental questions are an integral part of the selection process and must be completed in full in order for you to be considered as a candidate. Please complete each section and answer all questions as thoroughly as possible. DO NOT state "See Resume" in lieu of answering. Unanswered questions, incomplete responses, omissions, or partial information may result in disqualification from the selection process.
Applicants whose education, training and experience most closely meet the needs of the position may be invited to participate in a selection process that may include a panel interview. Successful candidates will receive a post-offer, pre-employment background screening that may include:
- Fingerprinting search of the national FBI Database
- Criminal Background screening
- Drug Screen
- 39-Month Motor Vehicle Department Records Check
Click here to be directed to the WestWorld of Scottsdale webpage.
Click here to review the entire job description.
The City of Scottsdale reserves the right to change this process at any time, potentially without advance notice.
Years of experience are based on a work schedule of 2,080 hours per year for full-time positions and 1,040 hours per year for part-time positions, and while work experience may substitute for education on a year-for-year basis, depending upon the job classification, education may not be substituted for work experience.
Education and Experience
- Bachelor's Degree from an accredited educational institution.
- Seven years of highly responsible management experience in directing the operation and maintenance of a convention center, municipal community services department, or similar public assembly facility, to include organizing and directing the activities within a department, preparing and managing governmental budget and/or contract management and administration, and strategic planning.
- Must have a minimum of five years of supervisory experience.
- An equivalent combination of education and job-related experience may substitute for the educational requirements on a year-for-year basis.
Licensing and Other Requirements
- Must possess and maintain a valid, unrestricted driver's license with no major citations within the past 39 months prior to the start date.
- Every person employed by the City of Scottsdale shall reside in the State of Arizona during his or her active employment by the City, regardless of whether the employee is approved to remote work.
Other pertinent licenses and/or certifications may be required of some positions depending on division/department/service assignment.
- Works closely with the Community Services Assistant Executive Director, Assistant City Manager, executive team, and/or Community Services Directors in defining and accomplished established strategic goals and objectives while executing successful business strategies.
- Assists in creation of a learning organization that encourages mentoring and professional development.
- Provides vision and leadership while directing the overall activities of programs in the WestWorld Department.
- Handles the formulation and attainment of department goals and objectives.
- Develops, supervises and coordinates the WestWorld Department five-year plan, WestWorld Master Plan, capital improvements plan, parking/drainage masterplan, and annual work plan as related to WestWorld.
- Oversee and coordinate WestWorld related capital improvement projects in collaboration with Capital Projects Management.
- Renews, negotiates, and administers contracts with the facility users and service providers.
- Prepares the departmental budgets and manages funds received.
Work Environment/Physical Demands
- Majority of work is performed in a City office environment on the grounds of WestWorld, with a significant amount of time on site interacting with staff, event producers, and the general public.
- Travel to/from meetings and various locations.
- This position is 'on call' twenty-four hours per day, seven days per week.
- May require working weekends and attending evening and weekend meetings as necessary.
- Respond and direct response of various staff and agencies in emergency situations.
EQUAL EMPLOYMENT OPPORTUNITY: It is the policy of the city to provide employment opportunities to all persons based solely on ability, regardless of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, sexual orientation, gender identity or disability.
When advised, reasonable accommodations will be made in order for an "otherwise qualified applicant" with a disability to participate in any phase of the recruitment process. Please contact Human Resources to request an accommodation. Persons with a disability may request a reasonable accommodation by contacting HR at (480) 312-2491. Requests should be made 24 hours in advance or as early as possible to allow time to arrange the accommodation. For TTY users, the Arizona Relay Service (1-800-367-8939) may contact HR at (480) 312-2491.
This position description does not constitute an employment agreement between the employer and employee and is subject to change by the employer as the needs of the employer and requirements of the position change.
Closing Date/Time: 10/1/2023 11:59 PM Arizona