CITY OF KINGMAN
MONDAY - FRIDAY 6:00AM - 3:00PM
$15.50 - $18.60 /HOURLY
$32,240 - $38,688/ANNUALLY
(HIRE IN RANGE; DOQ)
Learn more about our Benefits & Wellness Incentives
POSITION OPEN UNTIL FILLED
APPLICATION MUST BE SUBMITTED BY THURSDAY 9/14/23 FOR FIRST REVIEW
The City of Kingman is located in Mohave County, approximately 100 miles southeast of Las Vegas and 195 miles northwest of Phoenix nestled between the beautiful Cerbat and Hualapai Mountain Ranges along historic Route 66. In 2019, Reader's Digest named Kingman one of the "Nicest Places in Arizona" for its thoughtful residents and spirit of generosity. In addition to its small-town look and feel, the area also offers a wide range of recreational activities that include hiking, bike and ATV trails, camping, golf, beautiful parks, historical attractions, nearby lakes, and the Colorado River.
With more than 400 full and part-time employees across 30 divisions, the City of Kingman provides exceptional public services to over 30,000 residents. Our focus on high-quality customer service, safety, and teamwork underpins our efforts to foster an atmosphere where citizens and businesses can thrive.
For more information about the City of Kingman, please see our Open Finance Portal , Choose Kingman Economic Development page, and our Go Kingman tourism page for more information.
GENERAL DESCRIPTION OF POSITION
Performs a variety of skilled and unskilled tasks in the custodian care, maintenance, and repair of City buildings and property.
Works under the supervision of the Building Maintenance Supervisor.
None generally. May supervise temporary employees or community service workers.
Minimum Qualifications/Special Requirements
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE
- Graduation from high school education or GED equivalent;
- Any combination of experience and training which demonstrates the knowledge and experience to perform the work.
- Valid Arizona Driver's License or ability to obtain one.
- Ability to pass background check, may include polygraph and fingerprints
Essential Functions are not intended to be an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties and skills. They are intended to be accurate summaries of what the job classification involves and what is required to perform it.
- Responsible for performing duties that involve the care and cleaning of City buildings, and minor maintenance work.
- Cleans, sweeps, vacuums, mops, dusts, shampoos, steam cleans, strips, waxes, polishes, and buffs floors, carpets, and furniture, etc.
- Cleans and sanitizes restrooms and replenishes supplies.
- Cleans spills, using proper safety methods and signage/barricades/indicators.
- Cleans drinking fountains, mirrors, tables, walls, fixtures, vents, blinds, light fixtures, etc.
- Completes minor preventative maintenance such as air and water filter replacements.
- Washes windows, walls, metal and woodwork.
- Changes light bulbs and fluorescent tubes.
- Dumps ash cans and garbage and reline cans with liners.
- Cleans and removes debris from rain gutters, roofs, and sidewalks.
- Provides basic maintenance facility landscaping, including but not limited to, raking, trimming and cleaning.
- Remove snow or ice from sidewalks, driveways, and parking areas, using snow shovels, and spread snow/ice melting remedies.
- Picks up litter from around buildings and grounds.
- Inspects and maintains assigned custodial equipment and small tools for proper operating condition.
- Keeps records or logs of work completed.
- Maintains current skills and knowledge in the proper and safe techniques of building maintenance.
- Maintains an inventory of supplies.
- Maintains supply rooms/closets in an orderly manner in conjunction with OSHA regulations for the safe storage of chemicals and supplies and observes proper labeling requirements for mixed cleaning solutions.
- Maintains Safety Data Sheets (SDS) for the chemicals and supplies utilized in the facility and send Risk Management current and updated SDS.
- Mix water and detergents or acids in containers to prepare cleaning solutions, according to specifications.
- Set up, arrange, and remove decorations, tables, chairs, ladders, and scaffolding to prepare facilities for events as directed.
- Move heavy furniture, equipment, and supplies, either manually or by using hand trucks.
- Performs minor semi-skilled interior building maintenance and minor repairs such as painting, floor covering, plumbing, carpentry, mechanical, and other unskilled and semiskilled trades work.
- Notify supervisors concerning the need for major repairs or additions to building operating systems.
- Assists Building Maintenance Technician and/or City Electrician on building maintenance and/or remodeling projects.
- Locks and unlocks buildings as needed and secures buildings.
- Communicates and acts in a professional manner with the public, co-workers, and work contacts.
- Regular attendance is an essential function of this job to ensure continuity.
- May be required to work early mornings, evenings, or weekends as needed.
- Performs all work duties and activities in accordance with City policies and procedures; follows safety policies and practices, works in a safe manner, and reports unsafe activity and conditions.
- Performs related duties as required.
- Performs special assignments as requested.
NECESSARY KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES
- Working knowledge of equipment, materials and supplies used in cleaning and building maintenance.
- Preparation, use and disposal of chemical cleaning agents;
- Proper use of ladders, dollies, and carts.
- Safety procedures when cleaning and moving equipment and furniture.
- Working knowledge of equipment and supplies used to do minor building repairs.
- Utilizing mechanical apparatus
- Working in a team environment.
- Providing superior customer service.
- Utilizing a computer and relevant software applications.
- Ability to perform routine custodial activities, manual labor; and routine maintenance and repair activities.
- Operate motor vehicle and cleaning equipment.
- Adapt to changing work priorities.
- Perform basic mathematical calculations.
- Work independently and to complete daily activities according to work schedule.
- Lift heavy objects, walk and stand for long periods of time
- Establish effective working relationships.
The work environment characteristics attached to the job description are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
COMMITMENT TO SAFETY & WELLNESS
It is the policy of the City of Kingman to ensure a safe, healthful workplace for all its employees. It requires that every person in the organization assumes the responsibility of individual and organizational safety. Injury and illness losses from incidents are costly and preventable. The City of Kingman will employ an effective accident and illness prevention program and a comprehensive wellness program that involves all its employees in the effort to eliminate workplace hazards and promote employee health and wellness. All employees are expected and encouraged to participate in safety and wellness program activities including the following: reporting hazards, unsafe work practices and accidents immediately to their supervisors or a safety committee representative; wearing required personal protective equipment; and participating in and supporting safety committee activities.
The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by individuals assigned to this position. They are not intended to be an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties, and skills required of personnel in this position. This job description is subject to change as the needs and requirements of the position changes..
FIND YOUR REWARDING CAREER WITH US!
Personal Growth Opportunities ~ Meaningful and Challenging Work ~ Public Service
Community Spirit ~ Training and Development
2023-2024 Benefit Guide (PDF)
- Excellent medical, dental and vision insurance.
- Telemedicine available through BlueCare Anywhere for general medical and behavioral health.
- Flexible spending (FSA) or health savings accounts (HSA).
- Employer contribution to HSA equivalent to 50% of plan-year deductible. This is currently $750 for Single Coverage and $1,500 for Family Coverage.
- Employer-paid group basic life insurance coverage for employee and dependents on medical plan.
- Supplemental group insurance and third-party options available.
- Virgin Pulse, our comprehensive well-being platform designed to push you towardsgood health in mind, body and spirit.
- Participation incentives with up to $300 redeemable annually.
- Work/Life support services through the SupportLincEmployee Assistance Program (EAP).
- Six free counseling visits annually.
- 12 paid holidays , including a floating birthday holiday each year.
- 20-35 paid vacation days per year.
- 6.15 hrs. 1-5 years; 7.69 hrs. 5-10 yrs.; 9.23 hrs. 10-15 yrs.; 10.77 hrs. 15+ yrs.
- Shift fire personnel accrue leave at 1/3 more per pay period.
- 3.69 sick hrs per pay period (approx. 12 sick days per year).
- Shift fire personnel accrue leave at 1/3 more per pay period.
- Part-time/seasonal employees earn 1 hours of sick time for every 30 hours worked.
Other leave types available, including:
- 10 hours of Volunteer Time Off (VTO).
- Up to 5 days for bereavement.
- Jury Duty.
- Military Training, and more.
Leave donation program.
- Tuition reimbursement up to $4,500 annually.
- Shift differential pay (2nd & 3rd shift).
- Bonus Programs.
- Skill-based, Certification & Bilingual Pay.
- Clothing Allowance for Uniformed Personnel.
Recognition & Appreciation
- Quarterly Performance Conversations (TrakStar).
- Mission, Vision, Values (MVV) Excellence Awards.
- Safety Awards.
- Service Awards at 5, 10, 15, 20+ years of service.
- Biannual All-Employee BBQ Lunch.
- Annual Employee Pool Party.
- City matching to AZ State Retirement System & Long Term Disability (ASRS).
- Additional retirement solutions available through optional third-party on pre-tax basis, including457-deferred compensation and Roth IRA.
Closing Date/Time: Continuous