This is a continuous recruitment to create a register of eligible candidates.
Do you have a desire to protect and serve your community? The Mohave County Sheriff's Office (MCSO) is seeking passionate individuals to join our team as a Deputy Sheriff. In this role, high importance is placed on ensuring public safety is provided and maintained by an individual who takes pride in their work and considers the impact of their actions on an individual, team and organizational level.
We are looking for candidates who possess integrity and strong interpersonal skills. Ideal candidates are skilled problem solvers with the ability to use good judgment while diffusing situations, resolving conflict, and serving others and the community.
Prior to hiring, the Sheriff's Office requires that all applicants complete the following: orientation; written examination; physical a gility t est; oral board interview, background investigation; polygraph exam; and medical exam.
HOW TO APPLY: Please read and follow the instructions below
1) Apply online : Complete and submit an online application by clicking on "Apply" (This will take you to the log-in page where you may need to create an account if you haven't done so already).
2) Electronic application with AZ POST : After you have submitted your application, you will need to access the Arizona Peace Officer Standards and Training Board (AZ POST) website to create a user account to complete and submit your Statement of Personal History and Application for Certification for post certification.
Go to my.azpost.gov to create your account:
- To register with AZ POST follow these instructions: Registering with AZ POST
- If you have already created an Account Log in click here: Log in AZ POST
- After your AZ POST submission, you will receive an email confirmation with your Form ID Number. Please send your Form ID Number to MCSOSupplemental@mohave.gov
Bring your proof of submission of your AZ POST Certification Application with you to your scheduled testing date.
3) Schedule a test date : Once you have submitted your online application and AZ POST information, your information will be reviewed by the Mohave County Sheriff's Department. If you are selected to continue in the recruitment process, you will receive an email invitation to schedule your testing date. (Check your email for the contact information)
2023 Deputy Sheriff - Written Test will be held :
January 30 & 31
March 20 & 21
May 15 &16
July 17 & 18
September 18 & 19
November 20 & 21
*Incomplete packets and/or late arrivals will be rescheduled and are ineligible to test or re-apply no less than 90 days.
Work involves participation in assigned in-service training and formal academic programs of instruction designed to qualify the incumbent for certification as a Deputy Sheriff. Upon hire as Deputy Sheriff you will be scheduled to attend and must successfully complete a recognized Arizona Peace Officer Standards and Training Board (AZ POST) training academy.
*Graduation from the academy requires trainees successfully complete the Arizona Post POPAT (Download PDF reader) (Police Officer Physical Aptitude Test).
Formal academic instruction and in-service training are performed under immediate supervision; however, as skill and experience are gained in fulfilling routine duties, increasingly independent action may be authorized. Work is reviewed through observation, conferences, written examinations, performance tests and an evaluation of training records and reports.
- High School diploma /GED.
- OR any equivalent combination of education, experience, and training which provides the required knowledge, skills and abilities will be considered in meeting the minimum qualifications.
- Arizona Peace Officer Standards and Training Board (AZ POST) peace officer certification.
- Successful experience as a law enforcement officer when filled from outside, prior law enforcement experience.
SPECIAL JOB REQUIREMENT
- Must possess a valid driver's license for operation of motor vehicles on Arizona roads at the start of employment and maintain said license while employed in this position.
- Provide acceptable driving history at no cost to the County.
- Requires certification as a law enforcement officer by the Arizona Peace Officer Standards and Training (AZ POST) Board.
- May be required to pass drug screen, complete physical agility testing, written test, oral board interview, polygraph examination, background investigation, final administrative interview, and other testing appropriate to law enforcement individuals.
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities
See full job description details by clicking here: Deputy Sheriff
Mohave County provides two options for Self Insured Medical Plan, paid by Employee & Employer, to regular employees (employees who work at least 30 hours per week). Both plan options utilize the Blue Cross Blue Shield of Arizona for in Arizona coverage, plus the Aetna Choice POS II network for out of Arizona coverage; when you need medical care, select a provider from the directory and verify the provider's current status as a network provider. The medical plans include pharmacy benefits.
- Summary Plan Description
- PLAN 1: Exclusive Provider Organization (EPO) Plan Deductible $1,000 per person deductible. Calendar Year Out of Pocket Maximum per Single Coverage is $6,300 and $12,700 for Family Coverage.
- PLAN 2: High Deductible Health Plan (HDHP) $3,000 maximum Out of Pocket for Single Coverage and $6000 maximum Out of Pocket maximum for Family
Out of Pocket Maximum includes medical Deductible, medical Copays, Prescription Drug Deductible and Copays.
Teladoc is a healthcare option available 24 hours per day, 7 days per week, and 365 days per year for non-emergent medical conditions.
Flexible Spending Accounts (FSA)
This voluntary benefit is available to all regular employees working at least 30 hours per week. This pre-tax option will reduce taxable income.
- Health care reimbursement account: up to $2,850 per year
- Dependent daycare reimbursement account: up to $5,000 per year
Health Savings Account (HSA)
This voluntary benefit is available to all qualified employees who are on the High Deductible Health Plan. This pre-tax option will reduce taxable income. You may elect to contribute up to the full 2023 annual limit:
- $3,850 max employee contribution for Single coverage
- $7,750 max employee contribution for Family coverage.
Dental insurance is available to regular employees working at least 30 hours per week through Ameritas.
- High Option: $2,000 maximum annual benefit.High Option includes orthodontia benefit with lifetime maximum of $1,500.
- Low Option: $2,000 maximum annual benefit.
Vision insurance is available to regular employees working at least 30 hours per week through Ameritas. Ameritas offers access to a broad network of independent providers as well as access to out-of-network providers with two plan options available. Plan 1: EyeMed ViewPointe or Plan 2: VSP Focus.
Short Term Disability
Coverage is through Ochs, Inc. - Madison National
Short-Term Disability (STD) is insurance that replaces some of your income if an injury or illness prevents you from working. Provided by Mohave County.
Coverage is through Ochs, Inc. - Minnesota Life
- Basic Life Insurance / Accidental Death & Dismemberment of $50,000
- Provided by Mohave County to regular employees working at least 30 hours per week
Optional / Voluntary Benefits
Payroll deductions are available for the following Optional / Voluntary Benefits:
- Supplemental Life Insurance is available through Ochs, Inc.- Minnesota Life Insurance Company for employees, spouse and dependent children.
- Tax Deferred Compensation Plan 457: this option is voluntary and available to all employees through ICMA-RC or Nationwide.
- Identity Theft Protection is available through IdentityForce, Sontiq for employees and eligible dependents
Retirement Systems / Long-Term Disability
Mohave County is a MANDATORY participating agency in these classification-based retirement systems:
- (ASRS) Arizona State Retirement System: Eligible employees working at least 20 hours per week for 20 weeks or more. MANDATORY contribution rate as of 07/01/2023 is 12.29% beginning on your first paycheck and is employer matched.
- (CORP) Correction Officers Retirement Plan: Employees in Adult Detention positions with the Sheriff's Office. Contributions begin 90 days after first day of employment. Election rates of contribution are between 5% - 40%; default rate of 7%.
- (AOC-CORP) Administration of Courts - Correction Officers Retirement Plan: Juvenile Detention and Adult Probation (Superior Court). Contributions begin 90 days after first day of employment. Election rates of contribution are between 5% - 40%; default rate of 7%.
- (PSPRS) Public Safety Retirement System: Employees in certain positions with the Sheriff's Office. Defined Benefit Tier 3 contribution amount is 9.94%. Contributions begin 90 days after first day of employment.
The following additional benefits are available to all regular employees:
- 11 Paid Holidays
- Payroll direct deposit
- Paid Time Off - vacation/sick time
- Pre-tax deduction plan
- Up to 80% of medical premiums paid by Mohave County
- Bereavement Leave
These materials were created to help you understand the benefits available to you. This is not a Summary Plan Description and is not intended to replace the benefit summaries or schedule of benefits contained within the Plan. If any provision of these materials is inconsistent with the language of the Plan, the language of the Plan will govern .