Communications Supervisor – Community Services
This position develops and manages marketing plans, marketing strategies, social media content and analytics for the City of Scottsdale's Community Services Division. Manages citizen, media and employee communications, including media relations, web and publications content, communication materials, promotions, special events and oversees the Division's marketing/communications budget.
- A Bachelor's Degree in Marketing, Communication or Journalism from an accredited educational institution.
- Three years' experience in marketing, communication, media relations and online communication.
- Must have at least one year of Lead or Supervisory experience.
- An equivalent combination of education and job-related experience may substitute for the educational requirements on a year-for-year basis.
Licensing and Other Requirements
- Every person employed by the City of Scottsdale shall reside in the State of Arizona during his or her active employment by the City, regardless of whether the employee is approved to remote work.
Other pertinent licenses and/or certifications may be required of some positions depending on department/section assignment.
- Designs, plans and implements communication strategies and plans for Community Services under the direction of the Manager of Business Operations Community Services.
- Facilitates and coordinates project teams and task forces.
- Supervises employees and coordinates personnel-related activities to include, but not limited to: training, approving work schedules, recommending/approving personnel actions, coaching and counseling, establishing performance goals, and writing performance evaluations.
- Works with Community Services staff to provide communications support. Gathers input and information from Community Services staff to create content to be shared through the communications toolbox. That toolbox includes City websites, social media, press releases, print and news media, and creating appropriate communications pieces. Assists Community Services staff in identifying communications and marketing goals, ensures consistency of communication products and message, provides communication plans and opportunities that support their goals.
- Serves as editor and liaison for city web content, social media activity, print communication items and other mediums. Works with the Office of Communications and other content producers to ensure high-quality and consistent web content and design. Works with web content manager to ensure content and technology mesh to deliver quality information to customers.
- Oversees media relations and provides media relations training and support to key city personnel and support staff.
- Develops and implements effective communication and promotional materials and campaigns to address these priorities.
Work Environment/Physical Demands
The physical demands and work environment characteristics described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this position or that an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this position. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable qualified individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Most work is performed in a City office environment.
- Lift and carry materials weighing up to 30 pounds.
- Operate a variety of standard office equipment including a computer, telephone, calculator, copy and fax machines requiring continuous and repetitive arm, hand and eye movement.
- Travel to/from various locations.
For the full job description, click HERE.
The City of Scottsdale offers a comprehensive benefits package including:
- 12 Paid Holidays, which includes 1 Floating Holiday
- Vacation Accrual; starts at 10.3 hours/month
- Sick Leave Accrual; 8 hours/month
- Medical (which includes behavioral health coverage), Dental and Vision Benefits
- City Paid Basic Life Insurance (equal to one times employee annual salary); option of Supplemental Life Insurance
- Tuition Reimbursement; $2,500/year
- Participation in the Arizona State Retirement System (ASRS) Defined benefit plan with mandatory employer and employee contributions currently at 12.29% which includes a Long-Term Disability benefit
- Supplemental Retirement Plans through Nationwide; 457
- Pet Insurance
- Bilingual pay compensation
Please visit the Benefits Information page for more information.
The application and supplemental questions are an integral part of the selection process and must be completed in full in order for you to be considered as a candidate. Please complete each section and answer all questions as thoroughly as possible. DO NOT state "See Resume" in lieu of answering. Unanswered questions, incomplete responses, omissions, or partial information may result in disqualification from the selection process.
Applicants whose education, training and experience most closely meet the needs of the position may be invited to participate in a selection process that may include a panel interview. Successful candidates will receive a post-offer, pre-employment background screening that may include:
Fingerprinting search of the national FBI DatabaseCriminal Background screening
The City of Scottsdale reserves the right to change this process at any time, potentially without advance notice.
PLEASE NOTE: Years of experience are based on a work schedule of 2,080 hours per year for full-time positions and 1,040 hours per year for part-time positions, and while work experience may substitute for education on a year-for-year basis, depending upon the job classification, education may not be substituted for work experience.
EQUAL EMPLOYMENT OPPORTUNITY: It is the policy of the city to provide employment opportunities to all persons based solely on ability, regardless of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, sexual orientation, gender identity or disability.
When advised, reasonable accommodations will be made in order for an "otherwise qualified applicant" with a disability to participate in any phase of the recruitment process. Please contact Human Resources to request an accommodation. Persons with a disability may request a reasonable accommodation by contacting HR at (480) 312-2491. Requests should be made 24 hours in advance or as early as possible to allow time to arrange the accommodation. For TTY users, the Arizona Relay Service (1-800-367-8939) may contact HR at (480) 312-2491.
This position description does not constitute an employment agreement between the employer and employee and is subject to change by the employer as the needs of the employer and requirements of the position change
Closing Date/Time: 12/1/2023 11:59 PM Arizona