Building Permit Technician
Come join our team and work and live in one of the most beautiful places on earth! Apply today to be our next Building Permit Technician .
This position has the ability to grow and develop into a higher level position including Plans Examiner and Building Inspector.
As our next Building Permit Technician you will work closely with citizens and contractors, assisting them with review of their construction drawings and site plans. You will also identify construction, plan, code and regulatory needs and prepare plan review corrections.
The Building Permit Technician works within an environment of CITY PRIDE: Deliver the best Customer service, display unwavering Integrity, foster Teamwork and find ways to get to Yes, Embody Professionalism, show Respect, lead with Innovation and demonstrate a Dedication to Excellence.
You will work alongside supportive and fun colleagues who are focused on providing the best working environment and experience for our citizens and employees.
This position has the ability to grow and develop into higher level positions including the Plans Examiner. The City is committed to providing a culture of dedicated succession planning to the right candidate.
Candidates with great customer service skills and a desire to help others are highly encouraged to apply.
The Building Permit Technician performs review of simple building construction and improvements within the City for compliance with the adopted building, mechanical, plumbing and electrical codes and related ordinances and laws, provides technical and administrative assistance to the Chief Building Official. Provide front counter assistance and customer service.
1. Serves as the department's first point of contact for customer interaction.
2. Performs basic building and zoning plan review functions, including review of construction drawings, site plans, and related documents for residential, commercial, and other types of development projects and improvements throughout the City within specified City and state regulations.
3. Identifies construction, plan, code and regulatory deficiencies; prepare plan review correction lists of all deficient, incomplete or incorrect items and perform rechecks of corrected, revised plans and documents to ensure compliance with adopted building, electrical, plumbing, mechanical and related codes and ordinances prior to permit issuance.
4. Works with the Chief Building Official to coordinate permit reviews, corrections and approvals with other City departments and outside agencies having project jurisdiction prior to final permit approval and permit issuance to ensure complete approval and compliance with all adopted and required codes, ordinances and statutes.
5. Determines, calculates and documents all building permit, plan review and other related building fees in accordance with adopted fee schedules, policies and procedures.
6. Responds to and provides information to the public, contractors, architects, designers and homeowners regarding building codes and related regulations and ordinances; interpret and explain building code requirements consistent with City policy and procedure.
7. Creates permit files and distribute applications for review, update and maintain permit records and permit activity.
8. Prioritizes and organizes work and assigned tasks for completion in order to best meet the City and customer service goals in accordance with City, state and federal regulations.
9. Tracks expiring permit applications; mails notices of pending expiration or personally contacts permit applicants; investigates unissued permits to determine status; closes out expired applications.
10. Assists the Chief Building Official with the coordination of third party plan review agencies as necessary to review final permit approval and permit issuance to ensure complete approval and compliance with all adopted and required codes, ordinances, and statutes.
11. Assists department staff with research and data collection.
12. Provides front counter assistance; assists customers with general department questions, requests and complaints.
13. Performs a variety of clerical duties; answer phones, take messages and forward calls.
14. Processes, balances and submits monthly reports regarding application and permit activity.
15. Performs simple building and zoning inspections as needed.
16. Works with and within City permitting software, policies, and procedures.
17. Performs related duties and responsibilities as required or otherwise assigned.
• Methods, materials, techniques and safety standards related to simple building construction, repair, remodeling and demolition.
• General principles of structural design and calculations, engineering, architecture, plan preparation and building construction.
• Simple building, plumbing, electrical, mechanical, accessibility and energy code requirements and the intent of such regulations.
• Federal, state and local codes, ordinances and regulations related to building construction, repair, remodeling and demolition.
• Related zoning, engineering, fire and health regulations and state licensing requirements and all other applicable policies, procedures, standards and regulations.
• Hazards of the job and standard safety precautions.
• Principles and procedures of record keeping and document preparation.
• Building inspection, techniques, practices and policies.
• Customer service standards and protocols.
• Work in organized team efforts and assist in problem solving work related issues for continuous improvement in work efforts.
• Work cooperatively with fellow employees to foster a positive work environment
• Perform job in a courteous and professional manner.
• Encourage and facilitate an environment for building team efforts and problem solving of work related issues by employees.
• Review, interpret and explain written documents, reports and codes.
• Apply construction and code knowledge, follow normal plan review procedures to examine construction plans and documents and detect deviations from regulations, adopted codes and standard, acceptable construction practice.
• Clearly explain the requirements and intent of technical code requirements.
• Communicate clearly, verbally and in writing, code violations, plan deficiencies and construction requirements or methods necessary to obtain compliance with the adopted codes, ordinances, policies and procedures.
• Enforce code and regulations with fairness, objectivity, firmness, politeness and professionalism.
• Respond to and resolve difficult and sensitive complaints, conflicts and inquiries with courtesy and tact.
• Access, enter and research building permit and property data and information using a computer.
• Perform basic structural calculations utilizing tables, computer programs or manual calculations in order to determine the structural capabilities of joists, rafters, beams, headers, retaining walls, foundations, lintels and footings.
• Establish and maintain cooperative work relationships with those contacted during the course of the job.
• Maintain a mental capacity that allows the ability to make reasonable decisions demonstrating knowledge and intellectual capability.
• Maintain physical condition and appearance appropriate to the performance of assigned duties and responsibilities.
Experience and Training Guidelines
Any combination of experience and training that would likely provide the required knowledge and abilities is qualifying. A typical way to obtain the knowledge and abilities would be:
One or more years of experience performing front counter building/code functions, municipal plan reviews, building inspections, or construction experience involving plan preparation, inspection and code compliance related to building, electrical, mechanical and plumbing trades.
Equivalent to the completion of twelfth grade supplemented by technical, vocational or apprenticeship training or significant experience in plan preparation, plan review, or building inspection.
Possession of an ICC Permit Technician certificate within one year of appointment.
Office environment utilizing office equipment, some general travel from site to site; exposure to dust, dirt, mud, noise and inclement weather conditions; working at heights, around heavy equipment and construction materials and debris.
Maintaining physical condition necessary for sitting, standing, walking, climbing, bending, stooping, kneeling and crawling for prolonged periods of time; climbing stairs, ladders, steep inclines, bending and stooping; operating motorized vehicles; light to moderate lifting; general manual dexterity.
Click here for the full job description.
The City of Sedona offers a competitive benefit package that includes:
• Arizona State Retirement System
• 100% City-paid health, dental and vision coverage for employee
• Substantial contributions to health, dental and vision coverage for dependents
• City provided $50,000 group term life insurance
• Short-term disability
• Ninety-six hours of PTO time
• Generous vacation accrual rates
• Eleven paid holidays
• Deferred compensation - Optional IRS 457 plans
• Wellness programs
...and a 4/10 schedule, 3 day weekends!
HOW TO APPLY
To apply for this outstanding job opportunity, please click here .
CONTACT INFORMATION City of Sedona
102 Roadrunner Drive
Sedona, AZ 86336
928-203-5038 or 203-5189
This position is pending City Council approval for fiscal year 2021-2022.
The City of Sedona is committed to the principle of equal employment opportunity for all employees and to providing employees with a work environment free of discrimination and harassment. All employment decisions at the City are based on business needs; job requirements; individual qualifications, without regard to race, color, religion or belief, national, social or ethnic origin, age, physical, mental or sensory disability, HIV status, sexual orientation, gender identity and/or expression, marital, civil union or domestic partnership status; past or present military service; or any other status protected by law or regulation.