Experience what being a part of the Scottsdale team feels like. Work in an environment where team members feel a sense of belonging, and be inspired by leaders and teammates who are committed to delivering quality and value to citizens in a world class community.
About the Position:
The City of Scottsdale is seeking an experienced and knowledgeable leader to direct the activities of the city's Budget Department and manage the city's budget process. The Budget Department consists of seven employees performing highly technical budget and finance work including development of the city's budget document that has been awarded the GFOA Distinguished Budget Award for multiple consecutive years.
The Budget Director is a managerial position in the Treasurer's Division and reports to the City Treasurer. The Budget Director is responsible for meeting state and local budget laws and policies, and maintaining the integrity of the city's budget process while delivering exceptional customer service to internal departments and the community. The successful candidate is a critical thinker who sees the big picture, demonstrates sound judgement, decision making and communication skills, and is a problem solver who can lead and drive change to support an innovative and efficient budget program.
Please note: a cover letter and resume must be attached to your application in order to be considered for this position.
Education and Experience
- A Bachelor's Degree in Finance, Business, or related field from an accredited educational institution.
- Five years' of management level experience in municipal budgeting and progressively responsible supervisory experience.
- An equivalent combination of education and job related experience may substitute for the educational requirements on a year-for-year basis.
- Preferred Qualifications :
- Advanced degree in Municipal Finance or Certified Public Accountant License
- Experience with highly complex municipal budgets and capital improvement plans
Licensing, Certifications and Other Requirements
- Every person employed by the City of Scottsdale shall reside in the State of Arizona during his or her active employment by the City, regardless of whether the employee is approved to remote work.
Other pertinent licenses and/or certifications may be required of some positions depending on division/department/service- assignment.
Performs duties and responsibilities commensurate with assigned functional area which may include, but are not limited to, any combination of the following:
- Manages, plans and directs operations of the Budget Department and administers the city's budget in accordance with state law and city policies.
- Directs the preparation of the city's annual operating budget and five-year Capital Improvement Plan. Works with departments and budget staff to analyze and review departmental budget submissions, communicates strategic direction and resolves complex budget issues. Develops budget recommendations and provides advice to facilitate City Treasurer and City Manager decision making.
- Supervises and oversees employees and coordinates personnel-related activities to include, but not limited to: hiring, discipline and terminations, staff development and training, approving work schedules, recommending/approving personnel actions, coaching and counseling, establishing performance goals, and writing performance evaluations.
- Maintains the integrity of the budget process to ensure fiscal control and accountability and compliance with state budget laws and city's Comprehensive Financial Policies. Recommends and implements budget process and policy changes. Supervises and monitors program budget performance.
- Consults and interprets information to assist departments in maintaining integrity and transparency of the city's budget. Approves, adjusts or disapproves departmental submission of budget requests and actions. Writes and reviews City Council reports to communicate budget impacts and budget requests to facilitate Council decisions.
- Oversee the preparation of the city's monthly budget to actual financial reports and other budget and financial reports. Review staff's analyses of budget to actual variances, and other budget and financial analyses.
- Coordinates the creation and analysis of expense and revenue forecasts and directs and oversees the City's five-year financial plans and estimates of city revenues. Interprets, recommends and advise on fiscal policies and budget strategies.
- Develops, evaluates, implements and monitors internal controls over areas of responsibility.
- Develops and monitors departmental budget.
- Coordinates budget activities with Accounting Department to facilitate understanding and reconciliation of budget to actual differences.
Work Environment/Physical Demands
The physical demands and work environment characteristics described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this position or that an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this position. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable qualified individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Work is performed in a normal City office environment.
- Operate a variety of standard office equipment, including a computer, telephone, copy and fax machine requiring continuous and repetitive arm hand and eye movement.
- Travel to/from meetings and various City locations.
- Attend evening meetings as needed.
Click here to review the entire Budget Director job description.
The City of Scottsdale offers a comprehensive benefits package including:
- 12 Paid Holidays, which includes 1 Floating Holiday
- Vacation Accrual; starts at 10.3 hours/month
- Sick Leave Accrual; 8 hours/month
- Medical (which includes behavioral health coverage), Dental and Vision Benefits
- City Paid Basic Life Insurance (equal to one times employee annual salary); option of Supplemental Life Insurance
- Tuition Reimbursement; $2,500/year
- Participation in the Arizona State Retirement System (ASRS) Defined benefit plan with mandatory employer and employee contributions currently at 12.17% which includes a Long-Term Disability benefit
- Supplemental Retirement Plans through Nationwide; 457 and upcoming Employer contribution
- Pet Insurance
- Bilingual pay compensation
The application and supplemental questions are an integral part of the selection process and must be completed in full in order for you to be considered as a candidate. Please complete each section and answer all questions as thoroughly as possible. DO NOT state "See resume" in lieu of answering. Unanswered questions, incomplete responses, omissions, or partial information may result in disqualification from the selection process.
Applicants whose education, training and experience most closely meet the needs of the position may be invited to participate in a selection process to include a panel interview and an assessment exercise. Successful candidates will receive a post-offer, pre-employment background screening to include:
- Criminal Background screening for the past 7 years
The City of Scottsdale reserves the right to change this process at any time.
PLEASE NOTE: Years of experience are based on a work schedule of 2,080 hours per year for full-time positions and 1,040 hours per year for part-time positions, and while work experience may substitute for education on a year-for-year basis, depending upon the job classification, education may not be substituted for work experience.
EQUAL EMPLOYMENT OPPORTUNITY: It is the policy of the city to provide employment opportunities to all persons based solely on ability, regardless of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, sexual orientation, gender identity or disability.
When advised, reasonable accommodations will be made in order for an "otherwise qualified applicant" with a disability to participate in any phase of the recruitment process. Please contact Human Resources to request an accommodation. Persons with a disability may request a reasonable accommodation by contacting HR Receptionist at (480) 312-2491. Requests should be made 24 hours in advance or as early as possible to allow time to arrange the accommodation. For TTY users, the Arizona Relay Service (1-800-367-8939) may contact HR Receptionist at (480) 312-2491.
This position description does not constitute an employment agreement between the employer and employee and is subject to change by the employer as the needs of the employer and requirements of the position change .
Closing Date/Time: 8/31/2023 11:59 PM Arizona