Assistant Principal 2020-2021 School Year
Academies of Math and Science
2016 Arizona Charter School of the Year
2018 Runner-Up Reader's Choice Awards: Best Place to Work
Assistant Principal - 2020-2021 School Year
AMS Avondale Campus - 10649 W. Buckeye Rd., Tolleson, AZ, 85353. (W Buckeye Rd and S 107th Ave)
*This is not a remote position.
Compensation: $55,000 - $65,000 annually, DOE.
Academies of Math and Science (AMS) is an academically advanced charter school network serving predominantly low-income and at-risk students, with a decade-long track record of being one of the highest performing K-8 charter schools in Arizona. Many students come to us performing 2 years below grade level and quickly achieve above grade level mastery at AMS. We are looking for experienced assistant principals as well as teachers with excellent classroom results, leadership experience, and a high level of motivation and mission alignment.
As we open new schools and continue to grow by roughly 30% each year, we seek data-driven staff who are determined to uphold the academic excellence which made our flagship school in Tucson the 2016 Arizona Charter School of the Year. Our teachers use an advanced curriculum that has allowed our Title 1 scholars a level of academic achievement they may not have access to elsewhere. Our educators work in predominantly low-income areas of Arizona, where they may face the challenges of teaching students with a variety of educational needs.
What our parents have to say about AMS:
"I am so happy that I found a school that will develop my children's character as well as their academics. I have children in the elementary and middle school, and both love the school and have excelled since attending."
"They have high expectations for their students that encourages a higher level of thinking and pushes the sense of community in the school. Administration is very supportive and the family environment and family involvement at this campus are impressive. You immediately feel at home here at AMS."
Qualifications & competencies:
- Bilingual in Spanish and English
- Evidence of leadership and going above and beyond in prior teaching or administrative roles
- Excellent organizational, communication, and interpersonal skills as well as attention to detail
- A track record of excellent results teaching children at advanced levels in at-risk communities
- Excellent results in coaching teachers, providing training, conducting classroom observations, and implementing, analyzing, and helping teachers analyze and create action plans from assessments.
- Strong computer skills and ability to analyze data in various applications including Excel
- Commitment to helping at-risk students prepare for and succeed in college
- A bachelor's degree or higher
Preferred: Bilingual in Spanish, Experience with ELL students, background in mathematics and/or teaching in middle school, experience in Saxon, Open Court, NWEA MAP, Corrective Reading, REWARDS, and also skills in implementing STEM educational programming in a setting that also values strong foundational teaching in core subjects.
Physical and Environmental Requirements:
- Must be able to stand, sit, or walk for regular extended periods of time, up to seven hours
- Must be able to occasionally stoop, bend, twist, crouch, and grip objects
- Must be able to occasionally lift up to 20 pounds
- Must be able to frequently operate hand-held learning devices, office equipment, and musical instruments
- Must be able to occasionally work inside and outside in varying temperatures, in heat more than 115 degrees or cold as 35 degrees
- Must be able to maneuver unlevel surfaces, ramps, and stairs
Why work for us?
- Supportive, collaborative culture with talented, smart, incredible coworkers and leaders to learn from
- A high-paced and competitive environment that also supports members of the team and fosters a team environment
- We are one of Arizona's fastest growing charter networks and have continuous opportunities for promotion
- Competitive salaries and bonus pay
- Full benefits including medical, dental, vision, retirement (with employer contributions), PTO, and disability and life insurance
- Comprehensive training, follow-up coaching, PD, and professional learning communities
- The chance to truly make a difference in the lives of children who may not otherwise have access to a high-quality education
Interested in working with us?
Apply through the link below. Please include the following in PDF or Word format:
- A detailed resume describing your experience and data-supported accomplishments
- A cover letter showcasing your written communication skills and demonstrating your alignment with the AMS mission and competencies