Assistant Director of Development Services
ABOUT THE POSITION
YOUR FUTURE BEGINS HERE!
Join one of the fastest-growing cities in Arizona and the youngest in Yuma County!
The City of San Luis is seeking a collaborative, creative leader to assist the Director of Development Services.
As the Assistant Director of Development Services, you will:
- Assist the Director of Development Services with developing, planning, and implementing Department goals and objectives; develop and implement long and short-term strategic plans; recommend and administer policies and procedures.
- Assist with coordinating Department activities with those of other departments and outside agencies and organizations; provide staff assistance to the City Manager and City Council; and prepare and present staff reports and other necessary correspondence.
- Assist with directing, overseeing, and participating in the development of the Department's annual work plan; assign work activities, projecting, and programs; monitor workflow; review and evaluate work products, methods, and procedures.
- Assist with supervising and participating in the development and administration of the Department budget; direct the forecast of additional funds needed for staffing, equipment, materials, and supplies; monitor and approve expenditures.
- Select, train, motivate, and evaluate personnel; provide a high level of leadership; provide or coordinate staff training; conduct performance evaluations; implement discipline procedures; maintain discipline and high standards as necessary for efficient and professional operations of the Department.
- Represent the Department to outside groups and organizations; participate in outside community and professional groups and committees; provide technical assistance as necessary.
- Research and prepare technical and administrative reports and studies; prepare written correspondence as necessary.
- Assist with planning, organizing, directing, and evaluating all operations relating to building safety/inspection, plan review, planning, zoning, code enforcement, and community and economic development.
- Act as the City's primary authority on building, planning, and zoning issues and ensure coordination of activities and services between various departments, public and private agencies, organizations, and individuals.
- Assist with identification of significant issues affecting City growth and development and recommending appropriate action related to policy changes and code amendments.
- Assist architects, engineers, developers, contractors, and the general public with the development review process.
- Perform plan reviews on commercial and residential projects as required for the issuance of building permits; performs complex building inspections.
- Assist with overseeing the processing of subdivision plants, rezoning applications, and requests for variances.
- Interface with the Planning Commission and Board of Adjustment and coordinates activities.
- Performs duties of the Director in his/her absence.
Will have the knowledge of:
- Principles and practices of leadership, motivation, team building, and conflict resolution.
- Pertinent local, state and federal laws, rules, and regulations.
- Organizational and management practices as applied to the analysis and evaluation of programs.
- Principles and practices of organization, administration, and human resource management.
- Principles and practices of budget preparation and administration.
- Principles and practices of municipal building, planning and zoning administration.
- Principles and practices of community development, business development and retention, and financing programs.
- Review and evaluation of residential and commercial plans and specifications.
- Methods and techniques of building inspection.
Will possess the ability to:
- Plan, direct, and control the administration and operations of the Department.
- Prepare and administer department budgets.
- Develop and implement department policies and procedures.
- Supervise, train, and evaluate assigned personnel.
- Establish and maintain cooperative working relationships with City employees, officials, and representatives from other local, state and Federal agencies.
- Assess and prioritize multiple tasks, projects and demands.
- Gain cooperation through discussion and persuasion.
- Analyze problems, identify alternative solutions, project consequences of proposed actions, and implement recommendations in support of goals.
- Interpret and apply federal, state, local, and department policies, procedures, laws and regulations.
- Represent the City's interests before boards and commissions of local agencies and special water and sewer districts as directed by the City Manager.
- Identify and respond to public and City Council issues and concerns.
- Communicate clearly and concisely, both orally and in writing.
- Establish and maintain cooperative working relationships with those contacted in the course of work.
- Perform complex plan review and building inspections.
- Pass an extensive background check including polygraph examination.
Education, Training and Experience:
- A bachelor's degree in Urban Planning, Architecture, Engineering, Business or Public Administration, or closely related field; AND
- Five (5) years management or professional administrative experience in planning, building safety or economic development OR
- Job-related experience may substitute for the required education on a year-for-year basis.
- Residency in the United States and within 25 miles of the City of San Luis.
Licenses and Certifications: must be maintained throughout employment.
- A valid Arizona driver's license at the time of appointment and
- Possession of certification as a Building Official issued by the International Code Council (ICC).
- Bilingual in Spanish.
- San Luis residency.
The City of San Luis is committed to Professional Growth and Career Development -
Current employees may be given preferred consideration if they meet the position's minimum requirements.
OPEN UNTIL FILLED - Applications Received by 5:00 pm on December 10 , 2023 will be reviewed and considered
Candidates deemed to have the most relevant backgrounds will be invited to participate in the interview/assessment process.
The City of San Luis offers the following benefits to all full-time City employees:
MEDICAL/ DENTAL/ VISION INSURANCE - The City of San Luis is proud to provide medical, dental and vision insurance for it's employees which is administered by 90Degree Benefits. Dependent premiums are paid one month in advance and are pre-taxed. Additional information regarding medical, dental and vision benefits may be requested from the Human Resources Department.
ARIZONA STATE RETIREMENT SYSTEM (ASRS) - City employees are required to enroll in the Arizona State Retirement System.
- Employee Contribution - 12.03%
- Employer Contribution - 12.03%
ARIZONA STATE RETIREMENT SYSTEM (ASRS) - LONG TERM DISABILITY (LTD)
- Employee Contribution - .014%
- Employer Contribution - .014%
SOCIAL SECURITY AND MEDICARE-
FICA (Social Security Tax) - Employee Contribution - 6.20%
Medicare - Employee Contribution - 1.4500%.
PAID TIME OFF (PTO) -
Vacation Leave Accruals (Based on years of service and accrued on bi-weekly basis)
Less than 6 years - 3.08 hrs. 6 - 11 years - 4.62 hrs. 11 years or more- 6.16 hrs. Sick Leave - 3.69 hrs.
LIFE INSURANCE - The City provides eligible employees with a Life Insurance and Accidental Death and Dismemberment (AD&D) benefit. This plan is administered by Standard.
Basic Life Benefit - $50,000.00
AD&D Benefit - $50,000.00
DISABILITY INSURANCE - Disability insurance is available to all employees who work 30 or more hours per week.
Short-Term Disability - Coverage begins on the 15th day of injury or sickness.
Duration of Benefits - 180 days
Benefits Percentage- 66.67%
Waiting Period - 14 days
Maximum Weekly Benefit: $2,000.00
WORKER'S COMP - Insurance coverage for medical expenses and loss of income due to an on-the-job injury is provided by the City of San Luis for all employees.